AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Chase Freedom® are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Activation and earning for the 5% bonus categories for July to September 2022 is now open for the Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom®. From July 1 through September 30, 2022, Freedom Flex and Freedom Card cardholders can earn 5% cashback (or 5X Ultimate Rewards points) on the first $1,500 of purchases at gas stations, car rentals, movie theaters, and select live entertainment.
Cardholders can earn a total of $75 cash back—or 7,500 Ultimate Rewards points—maxing out spending each quarter. However, to get any bonus earnings, you'll need to activate the offer each quarter. This time around, the registration deadline is September 14, 2022.
Chase Freedom 5% Cash Back Key Terms
- You need to activate your bonus by September 14, 2022.
- Earn 5% cashback on the first $1,500 in purchases at qualifying merchants, earn 1% after that.
- This quarter the bonus categories are:
- Gas stations
- Car rental agencies
- Movie theaters
- Select live entertainment
- Purchases that post to your account between July 1 and September 30, 2022 are eligible for the bonus.
Remember that as long as you activate your bonus by September 14, 2022. You will earn the cashback for the whole promotion duration. So even if you were to register on September 13, you would still earn the 5% back on your purchases as far back as July 1, 2022.
Don't forget that 2022 Q2 earnings are still open! If you completed registration by June 14, 2021, you can still earn 5% cashback on purchases through June 30. The Q1 2022 bonus categories are Amazon.com and select streaming services.
What counts as select live entertainment?
Chase's explanation for the “select live entertainment” category is:
- Merchants in the Select Live Entertainment category sell tickets for in-person entertainment such as major sporting events, zoos and aquariums, concerts, theatrical productions, museums, tourist attractions and exhibits, amusement parks, circuses, carnivals, bands, and entertainers.
- Ticket agencies selling on behalf of the entertainment venue are included.
Excluded transactions include:
- Movie theaters
- Bowling alleys
- Horse racing tracks
- Dance hall/clubs
- Purchasing from a hotel/concierge
- Excursions or purchases as part of a travel package
Maximize Your Value with a Premium Card
The best way to leverage the points earned from your Freedom Flex or Freedom Card is by combining them with a premium Ultimate Rewards-earning card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, or Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
The way this works is straightforward. If you only hold the Freedom Flex or Freedom Card, you can only redeem your earnings as cash back at a value of 1 cent per point.
However, if you hold a premium card, you can transfer your Freedom Flex or Freedom Card earnings to the premium card. Then, you can redeem these points through the Chase Travel Portal or the Chase Pay Yourself Back tool at either a 25% or 50% bonus, depending on which card you have. Moving points to a premium card also opens up the option of transferring these points to a Chase travel partner, where you can get even more value for your points.
You can maximize the earning potential on the Freedom Flex or Freedom Card by just spending $500 per month. If you do, you'll earn $300 cashback—or 30,000 Ultimate Rewards points—each year.
If you hold the Freedom Flex or the Freedom Card, then activating your bonus is a must-do. The 5% rotating bonus is one of the main features of these cards and is where it delivers excellent value.
So, take a couple of seconds and register for your bonus now! Then set a reminder for July 1, 2022 to put your Freedom Flex and/or Freedom Card in your wallet for use at gas stations, car rental agencies, and on select entertainment.
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 15.74% - 24.49%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Flex℠ card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
- Earn 5% on up to $1,500 on combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Earn 3% on drugstore purchases
- Earn 1% on all other purchases
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.