AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Chase Freedom® are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ card is the latest addition to the Ultimate Rewards family. It charges no annual fee and combines some of the best features of the Chase Freedom® (which is now closed to new applicants) and the revamped Chase Freedom Unlimited®.
Like the Freedom Card, you'll get 5% cash back on select rotating bonus categories that change each quarter. However, this new card's earning potential is significantly higher thanks to several bonus categories we haven't seen before on Freedom cards, like cash back on drugstore purchases and dining, bonus categories which it now shares with the Chase Freedom Unlimited®.
Chase Freedom Flex℠ cardholders can still redeem rewards for cash back or transfer them to partners if they hold another Chase Ultimate Rewards card that charges an annual fee.
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.99% - 26.74%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Flex℠ card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
- Earn 5% on up to $1,500 on combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Earn 3% on drugstore purchases
- Earn 1% on all other purchases
Chase Freedom Flex Sign-Up Bonus
Eligible new cardholders will earn $200 cash back after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
It's a great offer, but the sign-up bonus is just one part of this card's appeal. This is a card you want for its ability to earn you more points over the long term—without costing anything to keep in your wallet.
Chase Freedom Flex Earning Potential
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers four bonus categories:
- 5% on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in rotating bonus categories each quarter
- 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% on dining purchases — including dining in, takeout, and eligible delivery services
- 3% on drugstore purchases
- All other purchases earn an unlimited 1% cashback
That means that the Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers many of the same bonus categories as the now-discontinued Chase Freedom® and the improved Chase Freedom Unlimited®. Like the Chase Freedom®, you'll get 5% back on every dollar spent in rotating bonus categories each quarter, capped at $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter.
The only way that the Freedom Flex lags behind the enhanced Chase Freedom Unlimited® is the return on general spending. The improved Freedom Unlimited still earns 1.5% cash back on non-bonus purchases, but the Freedom Flex only earns 1% cashback.
Combine with Other Chase Ultimate Rewards Cards to Maximize Benefits
As with the existing Chase Freedom cards, the cashback earned through the Freedom Flex can be combined with points from other Chase Ultimate Rewards cards, essentially earning Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. This is great news if you or your spouse/partner have the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
By combining your Chase points, you can transfer points to 13 Ultimate Rewards airline and hotel partners. Or, you can get a better value when you book travel through the Chase Travel Portal or Pay Yourself Back.
Check out this post for more details on how to build a team strategy with a Freedom and Sapphire card.
Redeem Rewards Earned on the Chase Freedom Flex℠ for a Statement Credit
If you are using the Chase Freedom Flex℠ as a standalone rewards card, you can also redeem the Chase Ultimate Rewards points earned on the card for a guaranteed 1¢ per point as a statement credit. So if you earn 7,500 points on your Freedom Flex card, you can redeem those points for a flat $75, issued as a statement credit on your account.
Freedom Flex World Elite Mastercard Benefits
Despite being a $0 annual fee card, the Chase Freedom Flex℠ is a World Elite Mastercard—which is Mastercard's premium product. That means cardholders enjoy the full suite of World Elite benefits, including:
Cell phone insurance — pay your cell phone bill with your Freedom Flex to automatically get cell phone protection against theft or damage. Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year.
- Lyft — earn a $5 credit for completing three rides in a calendar month
- DoorDash — new members get three free months of DashPass membership; DashPass members get $5 off their first 2 orders per month
- HelloFresh — earn 5% back on every HelloFresh order for use on future purchases
- ShopRunner — get two-day shipping and free return shipping at over a hundred online retailers
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection — get complimentary credit monitoring and ID theft resolution services
This is an incredible set of benefits, particularly for a no-annual-fee card. World Elite credit cards generally include some of the most expensive travel rewards credit cards, such as the $495 annual fee Citi Prestige® Card.
Excellent Intro APR Offer on Purchases and Balance Transfers
Outside of earning plenty of points in bonus categories, the Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers new cardholders an excellent intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
As a new account holder, you'll get a 0% Intro APR on Purchases for 15 months before you need to start paying interest on the purchase, plus when you first sign up for the card, you can transfer a balance from another card issuer and get 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months. Following the initial APR period on both purchases and balance transfers, cardholders pay a variable rate of 17.99% - 26.74%.
Who Qualifies for the Chase Freedom Flex℠ Card?
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ has the same eligibility criteria as Chase's existing Freedom cards. That means you need to have good to excellent credit to be approved for the card.
Also, the Freedom Flex is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. In short, Chase won't approve you for a new card if you've opened five (or more) new credit cards in the past 24 months. If you're not sure how many you've opened, here's how to check your 5/24 status.
The Freedom Flex is especially nice for cardholders who were wary of signing up for both the Freedom Card and the Freedom Unlimited. Rather than trying to learn and maximize two cards, you can get most of the benefits of both cards through the Freedom Flex. Plus, you'll get the World Elite Mastercard benefits that neither current Freedom card offers.
Chase Freedom Flex FAQs
Is the Chase Freedom Flex worth it?
Yes. If you carry any other card within the Ultimate Rewards ecosystem, the [CC_AW_PrettyLink_FullName slug=FreedomFlex] delivers exceptional earning rates for a card without an annual fee, including rotating 5% categories that allow you to maximize your return across a wide range of expenses. This is the perfect companion card for cards in the Ultimate Rewards family that charge an annual fee.
Is the Chase Freedom Flex hard to get?
Applicants require a good to excellent credit score to be approved for the Freedom Flex. While Chase doesn't give you an exact credit score to aim for, based on approval data from AwardWallet members and previous application data, we would assume new applicants need a credit score of at least ~680/690 or more to be eligible for the Freedom Flex card. This is in addition to the 5/24 rule that Chase fans will be more than familiar with.
Which is better Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Flex?
The Chase Freedom Flex replaced the old Chase Freedom card, essentially superseding the original Freedom card and adding enhanced earning rates and benefits for new cardholders. Thanks to improved bonus categories and a healthy overlap of perks and benefits with the popular Chase Freedom Unlimited, the Chase Freedom Flex is now one of the best all-rounders in the points and miles space.
Is Chase Freedom Flex good for beginners?
Absolutely! Chase offers a top suite of Ultimate Rewards earning credit cards. The Freedom Flex is a great card to anchor a portfolio of cards providing a high return on quarterly bonus categories and travel purchased through Chase, plus you won't pay an annual fee for as long as you hold the card.
How does Chase Freedom cashback work?
If you hold the Freedom Flex as a standalone cash back card, you can redeem rewards at 1¢ per point for cash back or on travel purchases through the Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal, the same as its sister card the Chase Freedom Unlimited. However, if you also hold an Ultimate Rewards earning card that charges an annual fee, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve, you can combine points earned across all the Ultimate Rewards cards in your wallet, and redeem them for a higher fixed value in the Chase Travel Portal, or transfer them to one of Chase Ultimate Rewards' airline ort hotel transfer partners for potentially much more value. Chase travel partners include high-value options like United MileagePlus, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, World of Hyatt, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, and Southwest Rapid Rewards.
Does the Chase Freedom Flex have a signup bonus?
Yes, new account holders will earn a $200 bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. For a card that doesn't charge an annual fee, that's a great offer.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.