AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Virgin Atlantic Points Booster is back. Once again, you can get up to 40% bonus points on “boosts” made by June 30, 2022. While a 40% bonus isn't as high as we see with other buy miles promotions, you can use this promotion to purchase Virgin points for significantly less than usual.
Without a promotion, buying Virgin Atlantic points cost 2.7 cents each. With Points Booster, you can purchase points for 1.6 cents each—and that price drops to 1.14 cents per point by utilizing this 40% bonus. Let's show you how.
How Virgin Atlantic's Points Booster Works
When purchased outright, Virgin Atlantic points cost $27 for 1,000 points if paying with USD or £15 for 1,000 points if paying with GBP, plus a transaction fee of $25 or £15. However, with Virgin Atlantic's Points Booster, members can purchase points at the rate of just $16 or £10 for 1,000 points.
The catch? You need to have an upcoming or recently-flown flight booked through Virgin Atlantic to be eligible for Points Booster. This promotion is valid for both cash and award tickets.
The number of points that you can buy through Points Booster depends on the distance of your upcoming or recent Virgin Atlantic-booked flight. You can choose single, double, or (during some promotions) triple helpings on any flight you book through Virgin Atlantic.
So, for a 6,916-mile round-trip flight from London to New York, a single boost would let you purchase 6,916 points for $110.66 or £69.16.
You can also complete a Points Booster to flights taken within the past 6 months by calling customer service.
Points Booster 40% Bonus Promotion
Until June 30, 2022, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members can get up to a 40% bonus when purchasing points through Points Booster:
- Single boosts earn 20% bonus points.
- Double boosts earn 30% bonus points.
- Triple boosts earn 40% bonus points.
For instance, a flight between Tokyo Haneda (HND) and New York (JFK) is 6,751 miles in distance. Here are the options for using Virgin Points Booster for this flight:
- 1x boost: 20% bonus = 8,101 points for $108.02 (1.33 cents per point)
- 2x boost: 30% bonus = 17,553 points for $216.03 (1.23 cents per point)
- 3x boost: 40% bonus = 28,354 points for $324.05 (1.14 cents per point)
If you're able to pay in GBP, you'll get an even better rate than that.
Terms and Conditions
- Only one Points Booster purchase can be applied per passenger per itinerary.
- Purchases made in connection with Points Booster cannot be combined with any other bonus tier points or any bonus points from other promotions; Points Booster only applies to the base flown point-to-point points on the flight.
- No Tier Points will be earned for any transactions made pursuant to Points Booster.
- Points purchased via Points Booster will be credited to the member’s Flying Club account within 72 hours of the originally scheduled date of the first sector of the flight in the itinerary.
- Members will have the right to cancel any purchase of points for up to 14 days after the date of purchase provided that none of the purchased points have been redeemed.
- If any purchase of points is canceled then members may not re-purchase Virgin Points on the same qualifying flight.
The terms and conditions say miles will be deposited within 72 hours of purchase. However, data points from AwardWallet users show that points purchases usually arrive within a day.
Maximize Your Purchase
If you decided to buy Virgin Points or use the Virgin Atlantic Points Booster, you want to use the right credit card to increase your earnings. Unfortunately, this won't count as an airfare or travel purchase on your credit card. That's because the sale is processed by Points.com. Thus, you should use one of these credit cards:
- Any credit card where you're working on a sign-up bonus. These are the best welcome offers available right now.
- Any credit card with perks you can unlock from spending, such as hotel free night awards, hotel elite status, or airline elite status.
- Your best credit card for everyday spending, such as the Citi® Double Cash Card or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Alternatives to Buying Virgin Points
Virgin Atlantic / Virgin Points are some of the easiest points to accumulate. Virgin partners with the following transferable point currencies:
- American Express Membership Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Bilt Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Capital One Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Citi ThankYou Points: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Marriott Bonvoy: 3:1 transfer rate plus a 5,000-point bonus for each 20,000 points received; most transfers take one or two days
So, if you aren't able to “boost” your Virgin balance high enough through Points Booster, you can top off your account by transferring points to book an award.
This really is a great promotion if you want to add more Virgin Atlantic points into your Flying Club account. Granted, you'll be restricted to purchasing multiples of the points earned on an upcoming flight or a flight you've taken in the past six months. But thankfully you can simply top off your account with point transfers from several transferrable point programs.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.