AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Wyndham Rewards is one of those programs that tend to get overlooked when discussing lucrative loyalty options — especially after it recently overhauled its program. But it deserves a closer look. That's because Wyndham Rewards members can now book over 15,000 vacation rental properties for just 15,000 Wyndham points per night.
In late 2019, Vacasa — the largest vacation rental management company in North America — acquired Wyndham Vacation rentals. The final integration was completed at the end of 2020. Now, we are seeing the fruits of this partnership with more vacation rental properties being bookable with Wyndham Rewards points.
Key Facts About the Wyndham-Vacasa Partnership
Here are the things you need to know about their partnership and how it can benefit you.
- Prior to the acquisition, only a limited number of Wyndham Vacation Rentals were bookable with points. Now pretty much all properties can be booked as an award night.
- Wyndham points can now be redeemed at over 15,000 vacation rentals throughout the world
- These properties cost just 15,000 Wyndham points a night
- You must search for properties at Vacasa and call Wyndham to book with your points.
- Rooms may be capped at $500 per night. It's a YMMV situation. You can find out more here. Feel free to share your experience in the comments below.
- Booking these Wyndham properties is somewhat of a nightmare. After talking to two agents, neither knew how to even book them. Be prepared for lots of worthless phone calls.
Vacation Rentals You Can Book With Wyndham Points
A two-night stay at this Wyndham Vacation Rental in Salt Lake City, UT would normally cost $811.02, but you could use 30,000 Wyndham Rewards (15,000 per night) instead. To book, you'll need to call Wyndham Rewards at 866-996-7937.
This rental in the Phoenix, Arizona area runs $472.79 for 2 nights with all of the taxes and fees included. You should be able to book this for 15k Wyndham points per night and the points should cover the taxes and fees, as well, although the verdict is still in the air on this one.
Wyndham Vacation Rentals has a large footprint in Costa Rica. I found lots of properties that should be bookable for 15k Wyndham points per night, like this great property in Puntarenas along the Pacific Coast.
Earning Wyndham Points
Fortunately, there are ample ways to stock up Wyndham points, some ways significantly better than others.
Staying with Wyndham
Of course, there's the old-fashioned way where to earn Wyndham points where you actually spend a night or several at an eligible Wyndham property. This isn't a terrible way to earn Wyndham rewards, either.
Oftentimes, you can find dirt cheap Wyndham hotels and after just two stays, you can earn 7,500 Wyndham points, which is enough points for a free night at a surprising number of properties. If you can find the right property, these promos can even be worthy of a mattress run.
Wyndham members earn 10x Wyndham rewards per dollar spent or 1,000 points per stay, whichever is more. If you add in the Wyndham Rewards® Earner℠ Plus Card, you can net up to 16x Wyndham Rewards per night. Members with higher elite status will earn even more points per night.
Personally, I love Wyndham properties because of their large footprint — especially in places that don't generally have many options such as National Parks!
Buy Wyndham Points
Wyndham often runs sales on the purchase of their points. Past buy points promotions have offered a 40% bonus when buying points, bringing the cost down to just 0.93¢ each.
A few things to know about buying Wyndham points include:
- Members can only purchase up to 45,000 Wyndham points per year although Wyndham will occasionally raise these limits during promotions.
- Expect transfer to take up to 72 hours for purchased points to post to your account.
- Purchasing Wyndham points does not count toward elite status.
Earning Wyndham points through credit cards is probably the fastest, and despite a few exceptions, the cheapest way to load up on Wyndham points. Not only do co-branded Wyndham cards exist, but they are also transfer partners of Capital One. Let's take a look at what your credit card options for credit cards are.
Barclays issues two consumer Wyndham credit cards and one business credit card.
- Earn 30,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
- Earning categories include 5x Wyndham Rewards at Wyndham hotels and gas stations, 2x at Wyndham timeshares, 2x at grocery stores and restaurants, and 1x on everything else.
The card gives members automatic Wyndham Gold elite status. You can also earn an additional 7,500 points a year after spending $15,000. For $0 annual fee, this card is not too shabby, especially if you are a Wyndham fan.
- Earn 45,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
- The card earns 6x Wyndham Rewards at Wyndham hotels and on gas purchases, Wyndham timeshares earn 4x rewards, 4x at restaurants and grocery stores, and 1x Wyndham Rewards on all other purchases.
Other perks include Wyndham Platinum elite status and 7,500 bonus miles awarded on your anniversary and a 10% rebate on points used for award nights. All of these perks for a $75 annual fee is a pretty great deal.
- Earn 45,000 bonus points after first $1,000 spend within 90 days.
- It also earns a whopping 8x Wyndham Rewards at Wyndham hotels and gas stations, 5x on marketing, utilities, and advertising. All other purchases receive the standard 1 point.
The card comes with a $95 annual fee, complimentary Platinum elite status, 10% discount on free night redemptions, and best of all, 15,000 Wyndham Rewards awarded annually, no extra spend required.
Capital One Venture points transfer to Wyndham at the rate of 1,000 Capital One Venture points to 750, or a ratio of 4:3. The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns 2X miles per dollar on all purchases. So, you are essentially earning 1.5X Wyndham points. Here is a list of Capital One cards that earn transferable points that can be converted to Wyndham:
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business
- Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business
It's always great when loyalty programs expand their footprint and give members more options to use their points. It's even better when the rate remains intact and isn't drastically devalue like so many other programs do.
Have you taken advantage of this new partnership and booked a newly available Wyndham Vacation Rental?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.