AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Platinum Card® from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Avianca LifeMiles, a member of Star Alliance, has announced a promotion giving you a massive 145% bonus on a purchase of LifeMiles. What is excellent about the promotion is the offer has a very low threshold to trigger the bonus, you only need to purchase as little as 5,000 miles to earn the 145% bonus. In fact, purchasing 5,000 miles nets you 12,250 LifeMiles.
- Prom is valid through November 27, 2017
- Miles are sold in blocks of 1,000 and cost $33 plus taxes
- The maximum you can purchase in a year is 200,000 miles
How Good a Deal Is It?
If you buy the maximum possible amount of 200,000 miles, you will receive 490,000 miles for $6,600.
While this may seem steep at first, a quick glance at the Avianca Star Alliance award chart, reveals that you need the following miles for flights to/from the US:
- 63,000 miles for Business class flights to Europe
- 87,000 miles for First class flights to Europe
- 75,000 miles for Business class flights to North Asia (includes China and Hong Kong)
- 90,000 miles for First class flights to North Asia (includes China and Hong Kong)
This means you can have 5 First class one-way flights to Europe for $1,320 each, or 7 Business class one-way flights to Europe for $942 each. One thing to remember is that ultimately the price would be even less than that since you would still have enough miles left over for at least one economy award flight to Europe.
Maximizing Your Earning
If you opt to buy the maximum number of miles, you've got to make sure you use the right credit card to maximize your earnings as LifeMiles purchases are processed through Avianca and are considered travel/airfare. Spending $6,600 in travel on the following cards will yield the following:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express – 5X earning: 33,000 Membership Rewards
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® – 3X earning: 19,800 Ultimate Rewards
- Citi Prestige® Card – 3X earning: 19,800 ThankYou Points
When it comes to bonuses on purchasing miles, this is a heck of a deal. And while maximizing the offer may seem a little expensive, with miles priced at 3.3 cents apiece, you can still use this promotion to leverage some great value out of the miles. The only question that remains is where will you fly with all your LifeMiles?
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.