AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® is one of the few rewards cards offering a big welcome bonus after making your first purchase. With most bonus offers, you'll need to spend between $1,000 and $4,000 during the first few months of card membership. But with the Aviator Red, you can pick up 60,000 bonus miles after paying the modest $99 annual fee and making your first purchase within 90 days.
This card can provide solid value for the occasional American flyer, with perks like early boarding, a free checked bag, and discounts on inflight purchases. Here's a quick overview of why you might want to pick up the Aviator Red.
- Get $25 back as statement credits on inflight WiFi on American Airlines operated flights.
- Receive 25% inflight savings when you use your card for food and beverages on American Airlines operated flights.
- Earn a companion certificate each anniversary year, good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) if you spend $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date.
- Earn 2X miles on American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X miles on all other purchases
Key Card Features
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after making your first purchase in the first 90 days and paying the $99 annual fee.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Group 5 boarding for domestic travel
- First checked bag is free for domestic travel on American Airlines operated flights.
- Get up to $25 back each year as statement credits on inflight Wi-Fi purchases
- 25% off in-flight purchases including headsets, beverages, and food
- 2X miles on AA purchases
- 1X on all other purchases
- $99 annual fee
American AAdvantage is one of our favorite frequent-flyer programs. With a big selection of top-tier partner airlines, competitive award pricing, and a route network that can take you almost anywhere, it's a smart move to add some American miles to your portfolio.
The Aviator Red offers similar benefits to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®, so the choice of which American credit card to get will likely come down to the welcome bonus.
Like other co-brand American cards, the Aviator Red has lost several benefits that used to make it a no-brainer. Among these are the 10% rebate on AAdvantage miles redeemed each year (up to 10,000 miles back) and access to Reduced Mileage Awards, which was phased out as of October 1, 2021.
Still, if you're looking for an easy-to-acquire bonus that can set you up for your next AA award ticket, it's hard to go wrong with the Aviator Red.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.