AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Avianca has launched its latest miles purchase promotion, and the targeted promo is offering a bonus of up to 135% on the purchase of miles. While not as generous as the 145% bonus promo Avianca offered last year, it still is a great deal, and the purchased miles can be used for flights with Avianca’s Star Alliance partners.
- The promotion is valid for purchases through May 30, 2018
- LifeMiles are purchased in blocks of 1,000 and cost $33 plus taxes
- You can purchase a maximum of 200,000 miles per calendar year
The bonus is both tiered and targeted, and not everyone will receive the 135% bonus. But you will get a bonus of at least 125%. My tiers were as follows:
- 1,000 to 50,000 miles- 100% bonus
- 50,000 to 100,000 miles- 115% bonus
- 100,000 to 200,000 miles- 125% bonus
How Good Is This Deal?
If you max out the promotion and purchase 200,000 miles, you will receive 450,000 miles for $6,600. This works out at 1.467 cents apiece.
As a member of Star Alliance, Avianca has some great sweet spots for redemptions, not only on its own metal but also with partners. A quick glance at its partner award chart shows you will need the following number of miles for one-way flights from/to the US:
- 63,000 miles in Business class to Europe
- 87,000 miles in First class to Europe
- 25,000 miles in Business class transcontinental within the U.S.
- 78,000 miles in Business class to the Middle East
- 40,000 miles in Economy class to New Zealand + Australia
- 39,000 miles in Economy class to South Asia including Bali, Vietnam, and Thailand
Maximizing the promotion, you would end up with enough miles for 5 First class flights to Europe which works out at $1,320 each, or 7 one-way Business class flights to Europe, which works out at $942.80 each. Bear in mind you will still have some miles left over but not enough for an award booking, however, you can top off your balance by transferring Citi ThankYou Points to hit another redemption threshold.
Maximizing Your Earning
If you opt to max out the promotion, you need to choose the right credit card to make your purchase, since it is processed by Avianca directly and so qualifies for travel category earning bonus with various credit cards. Spending $6,600 on the following cards should yield the following:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express – 5X earning: should yield 33,000 Membership Rewards
Although the headline figure to maximize the promotion may seem steep, this promotion provides some incredible value. The number of miles you accrue can be used to leverage some great redemptions, especially from partner awards. The hardest decision to make with almost half a million miles is where to fly to!
Source: The Points Guy
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.