AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This buy miles promotion has ended; see current buy miles promotions.
Avianca LifeMiles just launched a new promotion to buy miles through December 5, 2023. Until then, you can buy Avianca LifeMiles with up to a 160% bonus — or 165% bonus when registering through a special link. When maximized, you can buy LifeMiles for as little as 1.25¢ each.
This isn't too far off the best LifeMiles promotion we've ever seen and could be worthwhile depending on your situation. Here are times when buying LifeMiles at 1.25¢ could make sense.
Note on Buying Miles
We don't generally recommend buying miles without both a discount/bonus or a plan to use them. For most miles and points currencies, you're much better off building your stash for free through credit card earnings and transfer partners.
There are a couple of exceptions, though. When you can buy miles at a deep discount, it can make sense to do so if you can book a lucrative award redemption instead of paying for an expensive cash ticket. Moreover, if you only need a few more miles to complete your next great redemption, purchasing miles can be the quickest, simplest way. Just make sure you do the math ahead of time to ensure you're achieving a value you're comfortable with.
Buy LifeMiles Key Terms
- This promotion is valid through December 5, 2023
- The highest tier offers a 160% bonus, but you can get up to a 165% bonus by registering through this link.
- Buy at least 1,000 LifeMiles to receive any bonus miles.
- Members can buy LifeMiles in increments of 1,000.
- You can buy a maximum of 200,000 miles annually. If you maximize this promotion for 165% bonus miles, you will receive a total of 530,000 LifeMiles (200,000 purchased miles + 330,000 bonus miles).
The maximum number of miles you can purchase in one transaction to qualify for the 165% bonus is 200,000 miles. This will set you back $6,600 for a total of 530,000 LifeMiles — which comes out to 1.25¢ each.
This is a tiered promotion. If you register through the OMAAT link, bonuses apply as follows:
- 1,000–20,000 miles: 160% bonus
- 21,000–200,000 miles: 165% bonus
Data points from AwardWallet users show that LifeMiles purchases typically arrive within an hour.
When Does Buying Avianca LifeMiles Make Sense?
Thanks to a reasonable award chart and minimal fees and surcharges, LifeMiles is among our favorite airline currencies for premium-class redemptions across the globe. As the currency of Avianca, Colombia's flag carrier, LifeMiles can be used for award bookings on any of the airline's Star Alliance and non-alliance partners. Great partners with fabulous premium products include Lufthansa, All Nippon Airways (ANA), and EVA.
Let's take a look at some of our favorite Avianca LifeMiles sweet spots to demonstrate the kind of value possible when buying LifeMiles for 1.25¢ apiece.
Buy LifeMiles for domestic flights on United
Perhaps one of the best uses of LifeMiles for many travelers is simply getting a decent mileage price on a domestic United flight. LifeMiles charges as few as 6,500 miles one-way for an economy award on United. By maximizing this sale, you can pay close to $87 (including taxes) to get enough miles to book one of these awards.
- Mileage rate: From 6,500 LifeMiles each way (+$5.60 taxes)
- One-way cost to purchase miles at 1.25¢ each: From $81.25 each way
- Round-trip cost of miles at 1.25¢ each: From $162.50
Buy LifeMiles to fly in ANA business class
One of our favorite sweet spots is Washington D.C. to Tokyo in ANA business class. Flying from the East Coast to Japan stretches this premium experience about as long as you can, making it a prime candidate for our favorite ANA awards flight!
- Mileage rate: 90,000 LifeMiles each way ($26.70 taxes from IAD–HND; $66.05 taxes from HND–IAD)
- Typical cash price: $7,144 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 3.9¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking, after taxes)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.25¢ each: $1,125 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.25¢ each: $2,250 round-trip
Buy Avianca LifeMiles to fly in SWISS business class
- Mileage rate: 63,000 LifeMiles each way ($26.70 taxes from ORD–ZRH; $53.21 taxes from ZRH–ORD)
- Typical cash price: $5,068 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 3.96¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.25¢ each: $788 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.25¢ each: $1,575
Buy LifeMiles to fly in Turkish business class
- Mileage rate: 78,000 LifeMiles each way ($12.91 taxes from IAD–DXB, $55.04 taxes from DXB–IAD)
- Typical cash price: $5,017 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 3.2¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.25¢ each: $975 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.25¢ each: $1,950 round-trip
Maximize Your LifeMiles Purchase
Most programs sell points and miles through Points.com. LifeMiles is an exception, however, and sells its miles directly. Thus, these purchases should code as “travel” or “airline” on credit cards where these are bonus categories. Use one of these best cards for travel expenses to maximize your purchase:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 5x Membership Rewards points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel — up to $500,000 of these purchases per calendar year, then 1x.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: Earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on anything that codes as travel after exhausting the $300 annual travel credit (which applies automatically to the first eligible purchases).
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card: Earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on the first $150,000 of annual spending across bonus categories, one of which is travel; earn 1x after passing this spending limit.
- Citi Premier® Card: Earn 3x ThankYou Points on airfare.
Other Ways to Earn Avianca LifeMiles
While cheap miles are great, an even cheaper way to grow your collection of LifeMiles is by converting flexible bank currencies. Avianca partners with multiple transferrable currencies:
Note that Marriott Bonvoy ended its longstanding 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points transferred to LifeMiles.
Another way of accumulating LifeMiles is through Club LifeMiles. This subscription service lets LifeMiles members effectively buy LifeMiles monthly at a rate of as little as 1.41¢ per LifeMile — or even better if you have a LifeMiles credit card. Plus, you'll get benefits like a 10% discount on Avianca award flights.
The best offer we've ever seen was to buy LifeMiles for just 1.2¢ each, so this current deal is not far off from that. It's easy to get more than 1.25¢ of value through LifeMiles' award chart. The question is whether you're willing to put up with the frustrations of the LifeMiles program and website to make it happen.
If you want to cash in on this promotion to buy Avianca LifeMiles at just 1.25¢ each, you have until December 5, 2023, to do so.
Are you going to buy Avianca LifeMiles with a 165% bonus?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.