AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Back for just the second time ever — you can now buy Virgin Australia Velocity points with a 25% discount through October 5, 2023.
Note: Although prices are in Australian dollars, we will convert the prices we discuss into U.S. Dollars since a majority of our readers are based in the United States. As a result, we will use the following exchange rate: 1 USD = 1.56 AUD.
A Note on Buying Points and Miles
At AwardWallet, our primary goal is to show people how to get the best value for their points and miles. As a result, we're not typically proponents of buying either — we prefer to earn them with sign-up bonuses and everyday spending.
But like any good rule, there are always exceptions. For example, if you're just short of your next award redemption, buying the last few points could be cheaper than paying cash for the flight. Moreover, if you're planning to pay cash for a pricey ticket, buying the necessary number of points for an equivalent reward redemption could be the cheaper option.
Regardless, make sure to always do the math beforehand to ensure you're going the cheaper route.
Buy Virgin Australia Velocity Points Promotion Key Terms
- This promotion is available through 11:59 p.m. AEST on October 5, 2023.
- Virgin Australia Velocity members can buy up to 250,000 points per calendar year.
- Points purchases are non-refundable.
- Points Booster transactions made through the Membership Contact Center will attract a fee of $2o AUD (~$12.83 USD) or 2,500 points.
- Virgin typically deposits purchased points within 24 hours of completing the purchase.
- You can find the offer terms and conditions here and the full Virgin Velocity terms and conditions here.
- Velocity members can purchase points in the following increments:
- 500: 1,000–5,000 points
- 1,000: 5,000–30,000 points
- 5,000: 30,000–70,000 points
- 10,000: 70,000–100,000 points
- 50,000: 100,000–250,000 points
For this promotion, Virgin Australia Velocity is only offering a discount on purchases between 1,000 and 70,000 points. So although you are able to purchase up to 250,000 points per calendar year, members will only receive 25% off on up to 70,000 points:
- 1,000–70,000 points: 25% discount (as low as 1.13¢ each)
- 80,000–250,000 points: No discount (1.5¢ each)
Although it's a straight 25% discount on all points purchases up to 70,000 points, this can be misleading in terms of cost per point. The pricing is not the same for each allotment of points. For this promotion, the best value is found between 50,000 and 70,000 points. Between these amounts, the cost per point is 1.13¢ each.
As you go down each increment, the cost per point will slowly go up. So make sure to do the math ahead of time to calculate the exact cost per point for however many you decide to purchase.
Why can't I buy any Virgin Australia points?
One annoying quirk members might run into is the inability to buy points if they don't have any points history with Virgin Australia. If that's the case, you could run into this notice:
Thankfully, there's a quick fix for this. Simply make a small points transfer to your Velocity account. Virgin Australia and Virgin Red (the shared loyalty program across Virgin companies) are transfer partners of multiple points currencies, meaning you can make a minimum transfer from one of the following and gain the ability to buy Virgin Australia Velocity points:
Maximize Your Purchase
Virgin Australia sells its points through Points.com, so your purchase won't be coded as a flight purchase or travel payment. Consider using one of these cards if you buy Virgin Australia points:
- A credit card where you're working on a sign-up bonus. These are the best welcome offers available right now.
- A credit card with perks you can unlock from spending, such as hotel free night awards, hotel elite status, or airline elite status.
- Your best credit card for everyday spending, such as the Citi® Double Cash Card or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Virgin Australia Velocity is offering a straight 25% discount when you buy between 1,000 and 70,000 points through October 5, 2023. If maximized, you can get Virgin Velocity points for as little as 1.13¢ each.
But be mindful, as this can be misleading in terms of the cost per point. The cost of each increment is different, meaning the cost per point will go up as the increment of points goes down.
Thus, it's important you do the math beforehand when figuring out the best value for the points you plan on purchasing. This deal is an improvement from a cost-per-point perspective compared to the first Velocity promotion, but it also comes with its limitations.
Do you plan on buying Virgin Australia Velocity points for 1.13¢ each?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.