AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Few would argue that the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card offer some great perks. But right now, they are each offering options for new cardholders that are pretty enticing. Great sign-on bonuses, great points earning potential, and plenty of benefits make them both attractive. There might be one or two features that make you lean toward one over the other, so read on and decide for yourself.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Being an authorized user won't hinder you from applying for your own Sapphire Preferred card, either. You're eligible for the signup bonus if you don't currently hold a Chase Sapphire card, and it's been at least 48 months since you last received a bonus on either of the Sapphire cards.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card allows cardholders to earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. One of the great perks of the Sapphire Preferred is that you receive 25% more value when you use your points to redeem them for any travel expenses, including flights, hotels, rental cars, and even cruises. This offer is good as long as you use the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal to redeem your points. What does this mean in real life dollars? Well, if you want to purchase an airline ticket that costs $750, you will only need to use 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points!
However, the real value of Ultimate Rewards lies in its transfer partners. You can transfer UR points to 12 top travel partners, including United, Southwest, British Airways, JetBlue, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, and Air France. As you can tell, you can use your Ultimate Rewards points for flights, hotels, or trains. You can usually get more value out of your points by transferring them out to travel partners. For example, you could transfer 60,000 points to United, which is good enough for a round-trip ticket to Europe!
Chase always protects your information and wants to ensure your privacy and security. That is why the Sapphire Preferred uses the latest chip-enabled technology for an added layer of security.
There are no foreign transaction fees with the Sapphire Preferred. The annual fee is $95.
With the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card you receive two ThankYou points for every dollar you spend at restaurants or on entertainment and one ThankYou point for every dollar spent in every other category. The points never expire, and there are no earning limits.
- Enjoy 0% Intro APR on purchases for 15 months from date of account opening and 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months from date of first transfer; after that, the variable APR will be 15.49% - 25.49% based upon your creditworthiness*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater*
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- Points are redeemable for gift cards to popular retailers, restaurants, and department and home stores. 2,500 ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for a $25 gift card at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No annual fee*
You can also transfer your Citi ThankYou points out to these travel partners “if you have the Citi Prestige® Card or Citi® ThankYou® Premier Card to combine your ThankYou Preferred points with”. Without these other products, your points have limited transferability.
The ThankYou Preferred credit card offers a few special perks to cardholders, including access to the Citi Private Pass, which gives you special opportunities and deals for purchasing concert tickets, tickets to sporting events, theater tickets, VIP packages, and more.
Citibank, like many of the more prominent banks today, offers smart chip technology for all of their credit cards, to add a layer of security and ensure your privacy and protection when using the card, or in the event that it is lost or stolen. Complete fraud protection is also available.
Both of these cards currently have great offers. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card has a more valuable signup bonus right now, but the 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers offered by the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card is also pretty attractive.
The Ultimate Rewards points received with the Sapphire Preferred are more flexible since you can transfer them out to travel partners, giving you plenty of options for using your points. This also gives you the ability to get a fantastic value out of your points, specifically on international travel.
Bottom line? For those looking to save money on interest payments, the ThankYou Preferred offer is a great deal, but for those looking to travel more, especially internationally, the Sapphire Preferred is definitely a more enticing choice.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.