AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended, however, you can check out the Current Citi Quarterly Bonus promo.
Citibank has announced all the bonus categories for 2018 on the Citi Dividend Card. The categories will earn you 5% cash back, while other spending earns 1%. But remember that earning is capped at $300 per year.
- Q1 (January through March) – Gas stations and Car rentals
- Q2 (April through June) – The Home Depot and Home Furnishings Stores
- Q3 (July through September) – Airlines and Movies
- Q4 (October through December) – Best Buy and Department Stores
- You need to register for the promo (Q1 opens January 1, 2018)
- Earn 5% cash back on bonus category; 1% on everything else
- Maximum cash back earning per calendar year is $300
Track Your Spending
You will have to track your spending with the Citi® Dividend Card since unlike the Chase Freedom® which has no cap on earning; the Citi Dividend has it's earning capped at $300 per year. This is regardless of whether the earnings come from a 5% bonus category or 1% earning. With the Q1 bonus including gas stations and car rentals, if you were to rent a Ferrari in January for $6,000, you would receive $300 back, and that would be it for the year. You would not earn anything back for the rest of the year, regardless of what you spend.
Anytime you can pick up a 5% bonus is great however you will have to be careful and crunch some numbers first and then incorporate the card spend into a broader strategy. If you also hold the Freedom Card which also has gas stations as a 5% bonus category in Q1 2018, you are better off directing your gas bills to the Citi® Dividend Card for a couple of reasons:
- You have a higher spending limit of $6,000 (the Chase quarterly bonus is restricted to $1,500)
- This leaves more space in your Chase bonus to use on different items using the Mobile Wallet payment category bonus
You also need to look long-term at what your best options are. For instance, if you are looking to furnish a property, it might be worth your while to hold fire on Q1 entirely and wait for Q2, where you can spend a substantial amount at a household furnishings store and earn a 5% bonus. How will you be using your Citi Dividend 5% cash back bonus in the coming year?
Source: Doctor of Credit
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.