AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Since we reported in June 2017, that Hilton Honors had signed an exclusive deal with American Express to be their sole credit card issuer, questions have arisen about how the changeover would be handled. The new arrangement comes into effect as of January 30, 2018.
Which Cards Will Be Changed Over
- Holders of the Citi® Hilton Honors™ Visa Signature® Card will be moved over to the rebranded Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Holders of the Citi® Hilton Honors™ Reserve Card will be moved over to the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Note: Both Citi Hilton cards are no longer open to applications.
Other Changes To Come
Not surprisingly with a major changeover of credit card issuers, there are plenty of changes to come. Key changes that you need to know include:
- You can use your Citi card as normal up through January 30, 2018
- Through January 30, 2018, continue to make your card payment to Citi, after that date direct them to American Express
- There will be no change to your Hilton Honors number or the points you have earned through a Citi card
- There is no need to cancel your Citi card it will transfer automatically on January 30, 2018, if you cancel your card your account will not automatically transfer to Amex
- Any unpaid balances on Hilton Citi cards will be automatically transferred to your new American Express card account
- Authorized users will also be transferred and have cards issued in their names that will be mailed to the primary cardholder
- Any bonuses whether points or free night certificates will be honored and American express will take into account your spending on Citi cards
- Hilton Honors Elite status earned from holding a Citi card will be honored through to its expiry date. After that date, you will have to reach out to Hilton Honors’ customer service department with your questions
Conveniently Hilton Honors have a page on their website detailing all the finer points of the transition. Although the bigger questions are easily answered, in all likelihood there will be a few questions that Hilton will need to clarify over the next few months before the change happens.
Source: Hilton Honors
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.