AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The release of Chase’s Iberia Visa Signature® Card, which launched offering up to 100,000 bonus Avios, and the offer on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card, gives points and miles fans plenty of reasons to transfer Avios between their British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus accounts!
The ability to combine points into a single program is one of the most valuable features of collecting Avios, particularly when you factor in Iberia offers some of the best value business-class awards to Europe, and, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, and Marriott points to top off your accounts.
Why Combine Avios Into a Single Account?
Transferring Avios between programs can provide considerable value:
- Both BA and Iberia regularly offer bonus Avios when converting points from hotel or bank rewards programs; instant transfers allow you to combine points in the best program for the redemption you have planned out
- Both BA and Iberia run regular award fare sales allowing you to save up to 40% on award tickets, combining points lets you take advantage of the best deals
- Flying Iberia business-class between the East Coast and Europe (booked via Iberia Plus) uses roughly 30% fewer Avios than booking the same flight with BA
- Iberia also charges significantly lower fees and taxes than BA on select routes, saving you hundreds of dollars on business-class award itineraries
- You can take advantage of BA’s Household Account feature to combine Avios with family and friends and combine Avios from your Iberia Plus account to quickly build a substantial balance
For example, booking round-trip business-class awards on Iberia via Iberia Plus from the East Coast to Europe costs 68,000 Avios plus roughly $210 in fees and taxes. An incredible deal. Those same flights paid for with British Airways Avios will set you back a cool 100K points and over $700 in fees and taxes! A huge difference. The goal of award travel is to reduce your out of pocket expense for luxury travel, so should do everything in your power to reduce BA's ridiculous fuel surcharges.
Rules for Transferring Avios Between BA and Iberia
You have to ensure your accounts meet a few criteria before you can transfer Avios between BA and Iberia.
- First up, they are separate frequent flyer programs, so you need to register accounts with both BA Executive Club and Iberia Plus.
- You also need to have qualifying activity in your Iberia account before you can transfer Avios, meaning you need to earn Avios either by crediting a flight, car rental, or hotel stay to Iberia before they allow you to move points into your Iberia account
- Your Iberia account needs to be open at least 90 days before you can transfer points in from another program
- Another factor to take into account. Even if your Iberia account is over 90 days old, your account needs qualifying activity every six months to remain active. After six months of no earning or redeeming action, your account is marked dormant, and you cannot buy/gift/transfer points until you earn Avios in that account.
Also, be aware of the new security measures implemented by Avios/BA/Iberia, which won’t allow a transfer to take place unless all the account details match on both accounts. This includes details like your address, phone number, email, home address, and date of birth. The Iberia Plus signup procedure routinely trips up new members by asking for a Second Last Name which it then combines with your surname. If that happens, the only recourse is calling Iberia and sending through identity docs. A slow and painful process by all accounts.
How to Transfer Avios Between BA and Iberia
You can initiate transfers from all three websites, but the process is easier from Executive Club than via Iberia or Avios.com.
- First, log into your British Airways account so it displays your member dashboard
- Click on the profile name in the top right corner
- Select ‘Combine my Avios’ from the ‘Manage My Account’ drop-down, part of the ‘My Executive Club Menu“ on the left
- Click the ‘Combine my Avios’ button at the bottom of the page
- Add your Iberia Plus account number and PIN
- Select which way you want to transfer your Avios, to/from BA
- Enter the number of points you wish to transfer in the box
- You can transfer as little as one point, and points transfer instantly between accounts
Transferring back and forth via the Iberia website can be a little funky until you know where to find the transfer page, after that it’s a straightforward process.
- Sign in to your Iberia Plus account
- Hover the mouse cursor over the ‘Iberia Plus’ button in the main navigation menu
- Click on ‘My Avios’ and then ‘Buying or Transferring Avios‘ or click this link when signed into your Iberia account
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the text “Don’t forget you can combine your Avios with those of other customer loyalty programmes.”
- From the “Combine my Avios” page you can choose to send your Avios to BA or Avios.com, and nominate the number of points transferred.
Transfers are instant, and you can shift Avios between accounts in any increment.
The ability to combine Avios, not just from family members via a Household Account, but from various programs that fall under the Avios umbrella is a huge plus for collecting Avios for award travel. Remember, you can currently earn up to 150K Avios with Chase’s latest offers on the British Airways Visa Card and Iberia Visa. And if you leverage the ability to combine Avios to use the program with the best rates for your trip, you can turn that into a lot of travel. Have experience combining Avios to reach a significant award redemption? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.