AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, IHG Rewards Club points expire if you have no activity on your account for 12 months. If you have elite status within the IHG Rewards program, your points will not expire. Per the IHG FAQ's, you need to either earn or redeem points during a 12 moths period to keep your points from expiring. As long as you have some activity on your account, then your points will stay current and will never expire. Exact terminology from the IHG® Rewards Club Global Membership Terms and Conditions is:
Expiration of points. Points do not expire unless your account becomes inactive for any period of twelve (12) months or longer. To maintain the points in your account, you must have at least one earn or redeem transaction posted to your account every twelve (12) months. If you do not keep your account active for any period of twelve (12) months or more, all of your points may expire which means your points will be removed from your account and are no longer able to be redeemed. Points in your account do not expire for all current Elite members, although all of your points may expire twelve (12) months after your account moves to Club level from an Elite level without earn or redeem activity.
How Can I Earn IHG Rewards Club Points?
The most obvious points earning option is through stays at IHG properties—if; however, you are unable to book a stay during the next 12 months, there are several other ways you can still earn points with IHG and keep your points active. When you redeem the points from your account the 12-month clock is reset, if you cancel that booking and redeposit the points it does not adjust the clock back to the original time, so, yes, you can make a booking and then cancel it to reset your timer.
The easiest way to earn regular points with IHG is through IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, which not only earns you points on qualifying spend but also comes with automatic Platinum Elite status for an annual fee of $89. You can also transfer points from other credit card reward programs including Chase and Amex.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to IHG at a ratio of 1:1. Not our preferred method, especially with a 1,000-point minimum transfer, but it'll keep your balance alive.
- American Express Membership Rewards do not transfer directly to IHG; however, a workaround is to transfer your points to Virgin Atlantic and then to IHG. While this is not great value, it could still save your points if needed.
Car Rental Partners
IHG has partnered with several car rental companies, and the deals allow you to earn IHG points whenever you rent cars with them.
- Avis: earn 125 points per day on qualifying rentals at participating location worldwide
- Budget: earn 125 points per day on qualifying rentals at participating location worldwide
- Hertz: earn 1,500 points plus an additional 500 points per day on qualifying rentals as well as a 35% discount on rentals
Other Earning Options
IHG has partnered up with the survey partner Opinion Check, and by registering and completing a survey which should only take a few minutes, you can pick up a 1,000-point bonus, as well as regular points for completing online surveys.
You can also purchase IHG points, although it is best to wait till there is a promotion offering bonus points on purchases. You can buy points for yourself or someone else as a gift; however, only the account where the miles are deposited receives a reprieve on expiration.
The options for redeeming your IHG points are diverse and are not just limited to Reward Nights. You can redeem your points as follows:
- Reward Nights: redeem your points for nights at one of IHG’s 4,500 global properties
- Shopping: take your pick from jewelry to electronics
- Gift Cards: you can convert your points into various gift cards
- Digital Rewards: convert your points to eBooks, software, games and many more digital products
- Points and Cash: use a mix of points and cash to book a stay at an IHG property
- Travel: you can book flights with over 200 airlines, almost any hotel, and various car rental companies
- Airlines: transfer your points to multiple airline partners
- Transfer: you can transfer your points to another IHG member
- Donate your points to the IHG Foundation
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.