AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Marriott Bonvoy's latest global promotion is open for registration! For stays between September 14 and December 12, 2021, Marriott Bonvoy members will earn 1,500 bonus points on each stay. Plus, if you stay at an all-inclusive resort, you'll get an additional 3,000-point bonus.
Here's what you need to know about this new promotion — plus targeted promotions some Bonvoy members are seeing.
Marriott Promotion: 1,500 Bonus Points Per Stay
While some Marriott promotions are complicated, this one is about as straightforward as it gets. Members earn 1,500 bonus Bonvoy points on each stay.
- Must register before completing the stay.
- Registration ends November 28, 2021.
- Valid for stays from September 14 through December 12, 2021.
- Not valid on award stays or stays booked through third parties.
- Bonus will be deposited within 7 business days after checkout.
- Earn an additional 3,000 bonus points (for a total of 4,500) at all-inclusive resorts.
- Not valid on accounts that choose to earn airline miles instead of Bonvoy points on stays.
Remember that Marriott defines a stay as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel. So, you can't rack up the bonuses by booking back-to-back 1-night stays at the same hotel. Marriott will lump all of the stays together into one stay for the sake of this promotion. With that said,
Marriott Targeted Offer Terms
In addition to Marriott's Global Promotion, some members have received targeted offers personalized for them. Unfortunately, not everyone gets one (my wife and I got nothin'). But, for those that do, here are some of the standard terms:
- You can view your targeted offers (if you've received one) in the “Promotion Central” section of your Bonvoy account.
- Members must register for any applicable promotion before staying.
- The “earning period” for a bonus starts the day after you register and goes through October 31, 2021.
- It's usually possible to combine these with other global and brand/property-specific Bonvoy promotions.
- Marriott usually sends an email to targeted members, though it's possible to see the offers in your account before receiving the email.
Over the years, we've seen several variations of these promotions in the past, including:
- Receive double points on weekend stays
- Earn “xx” bonus points on your first stay, and “xx” bonus points on your second stay
- Earn up to “xx” bonus points on weekend stays
- Earn up to two Free Night Awards
It's hard to say how Marriott decides which Bonvoy members receive an offer. My first instinct is that this is simply Marriott's way of encouraging members to book who haven't had a stay for a while. Though, given the current travel climate, it's likely that most Bonvoy members haven't had a hotel stay for a while. So, who knows? If you receive an offer, let us know in the comments if you've completed a Marriott stay recently.
For most offers, the bonus points probably aren't valuable enough to make new reservations for the points alone. However, if you're lucky enough to get the Free Night Award offer, that's a different story. Just be sure to consider the 6-month expiration policy before making a reservation.
Other Bonvoy earning opportunities
Fans of Marriott Bonvoy have a lot going for them, especially when it comes to earning points and co-branded credit cards. Specifically, we're seeing some great sign-up bonuses on Chase Marriott Bonvoy credit cards.
- Earn 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases + 10X total points on eligible purchases in select categories.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Welcome Offer: Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 of eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping. 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Terms apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other purchases
Marriott's newest Global Promotion is a bit underwhelming. Compared to the promotions other hotel programs are offering, a flat bonus of just 1,500 points per stay isn't inspiring.
Based on recent AwardWallet user redemptions, Marriott Bonvoy points are worth around 1 cent per point. So, you're only earning a bonus worth around $15 for each stay. Meanwhile, Best Western's current promotion offers a $20 gift card for each night you stay. The only good part of this Marriott promotion is that it's uncapped. So, if you have a bunch of 1-night stays coming up, you can score this bonus a few times.
On the flip side, some of the targeted promotions available to Bonvoy members are quite generous. The best of these offers a free night after completing as little as one stay! So, it's certainly worth checking your account to see if you're targeted.
Were you targeted for a personalized Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.