AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This United MileagePlus Miles Purchase promotion has ended, however, you can still purchase MileagePlus Miles.
United has announced a 100% bonus on miles purchases through September 6, 2018. With the bonus, you can pick up United miles for less than 2 cents apiece, which could provide some good value.
- Promotion is valid through September 6, 2018, 11:59 p.m. CT
- You can purchase a maximum of 75,000 miles
- Purchases and bonus miles count towards the annual cap of 150,000 bonus miles
- Allow up to 48 hours for the miles to post to your account
The promotion is tiered, and your bonus level will depend on the number of miles you purchase:
- Purchase 5,000 to 14,000 miles and get a 30% bonus
- Purchase 15,000 to 29,000 miles and get a 70% bonus
- Purchase 30,000 to 44,000 miles and get an 85% bonus
- Purchase 45,000 to 75,000 miles and get a 100% bonus
Maximizing the bonus when purchasing between 45,000 and 75,000 will yield a cost of 1.88 cents per mile, which is a solid value.
Keep in mind that United miles purchases are processed by points.com, so you can’t earn any credit card bonus category spending. If you opt to take advantage of this promotion, remember to use a credit card optimized for everyday spending.
Typically, United does not run many promotions offering a 100% bonus per year, although the last one was earlier this summer. This means that we are unlikely to see one again this year. While purchasing miles speculatively is not recommended, if you were thinking of purchasing United miles for use later in the year, you might want to give this promotion some serious thought.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.