AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Aeroplan only got into the business of selling points last year, but they're back with another promotion to buy points with up to an 85% bonus. This is one of the better prices we've seen from them. Bonus tiers depend on how many points you buy, but the purchase rate can be as low as 1.46¢ per mile. This promotion runs through May 20, 2022.
When Should You Buy Aeroplan Points?
As with every opportunity to buy points or miles with a bonus/discount, do the math and evaluate your situation before buying points from Aeroplan. Award programs can devalue with little notice, so you are almost always better off holding cash.
With that said, there are a couple of cases where it does make sense to buy Aeroplan points. The first and most obvious is if you are just a few points (Aeroplan calls them “points,” not “miles”) short of a redemption. If you would save more in the long run by paying to boost your points balance and then redeem for an award flight, this is a no-brainer.
The other situation to consider is if you lack points & miles to use for an upcoming flight. If you are looking at paying cash anyway, do the math to see if you would pay less to buy points from Aeroplan and then redeem them for an award ticket. If so, save money and make the redemption (after confirming that award seats are available first, of course).
You should NOT consider buying Aeroplan points to create activity on your account. There are other methods of extending the life of your Aeroplan mileage balance if that's a concern.
Aeroplan Buy Points Offer Details
- Promotion is already running and ends on May 20, 2022 at 11:59:59 PM ET
- Buy at least 70,000 points to receive the maximum 85% bonus
- Minimum points purchase is 2,000 points
- Must buy at least 5,000 points to receive any bonus (50% bonus at this level)
- You can buy up to a maximum of 500,000 Aeroplan points — plus 425,000 bonus points for a total of 925,000
- Through separate transactions, you can buy up to 1,000,000 total points
- You can only receive a total of 500,000 Aeroplan points as a gift
- Purchased points are non-refundable and non-reversible
- Points purchased, transferred, or received as a gift do not count towards elite status qualification
- Aeroplan will credit purchased/gifted points within 72 hours of the transaction
Tiers in this sale:
- 2,000 – 4,000 points: no bonus
- 5,000 – 19,000 points: 50% bonus
- 20,000 – 45,000 points: 60% bonus
- 50,000 – 60,000 points: 70% bonus
- 70,000+ points: 85% bonus
Where to Find the Best Value
This Aeroplan buy points promotion tells you up front what level of bonus you will receive. Additionally, by using the drop-down menu, you can see the exact numbers of points and prices. This helps you calculate the effective purchase rate.
For this promotion, the cheapest points purchase rate comes when you buy at least 70,000 points (which earns a bonus of 59,500 points) for a total of 129,500 points at $2,450 CAD—equaling 1.46¢ per mile when converted to USD. Note that all prices are listed in Canadian Dollars, but we have converted to USD for simplicity in this post.
And here is the price when you buy the maximum during this sale:
Pay Less When You Buy Aeroplan Points
You can read our full guide to the Aeroplan program to learn more about its ins and outs. Here are some examples of where you could save money if you buy Aeroplan points to redeem, rather than just paying cash for the flight.
Washington, D.C. — Toronto in Economy
- Mileage Rate: 6,000 points each way
- Typical Cash Price: $166 one-way
- Redemption Rate: 2.78 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 6,000 Aeroplan Points at 1.46¢ each: $87.60
New York — Istanbul in Turkish Airlines Business Class
- Mileage Rate: 70,000 points each way
- Typical Cash Price: $4,832 one-way
- Redemption Rate: 6.9 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 70,000 Aeroplan Points at 1.46¢ each: $1,022
Frankfurt — São Paulo in Lufthansa First Class
- Mileage Rate: 100,000 points each way
- Typical Cash Price: $8,635 one-way
- Redemption Rate: 8.6 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 100,000 Aeroplan Points at 1.46¢ each: $1,460
Use the Right Card to Buy Aeroplan Points
When you buy Aeroplan points, your purchase will NOT code as airfare, since points.com processes your purchase. Thus, the best card to use is primarily any new credit card where you are working on earning the points from a welcome offer. Aside from that, use your best everyday card, such as:
- Blue Business Plus: Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- Discover it® Miles: 1.5 Miles per dollar on all purchases. Plus, Discover will match ALL the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year,
- Citi® Double Cash Card: Earn 2% cash back on purchases 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. Earnings can be converted to ThankYou Points.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: 2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day. 5 Miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel. 5 Miles per dollar when you book on Turo, the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, through May 16, 2023.
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card: 1.5X points on non-bonus spending—up to 2.625X points for those with $100k+ in qualifying savings
Other Ways to Earn Aeroplan Points
If you're not in a hurry, another way to beef up your Aeroplan stash is through a sign-up bonus on a co-branded credit card.
In Canada, there are multiple Aeroplan credit cards available to earn points and welcome offers:
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite Privilege Card
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum
- TD® Aeroplan® Visa Business
In the U.S., Chase offers an Aeroplan co-branded credit card:
Additionally, you can transfer your points to Aeroplan from the following programs:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 transfer)
- Bilt Rewards (1:1 transfer)
- Capital One (1:1 transfer)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1 transfer)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 transfer with 5,000-point bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points transferred)
With the exception of Marriott, these transfers should occur instantly or close to it. Marriott transfers can take up to 5 days.
The Bottom Line
This sale's 1.46¢ per point rate is one of the better purchase rates for buying points and miles. It's not the best price we have ever seen from Aeroplan (that was 1.31¢), but the sheer amount of points you can buy from Aeroplan right now is impressive. That being said, we still recommend that you should wait until you have an immediate redemption in mind before buying Aeroplan points since program values and award availability can change quickly.
Are you buying Aeroplan points at 1.46¢ a piece?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.