AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card is the entry-level business card from Delta, carrying the lowest annual fee of Delta's business cards, and offering fewer benefits than its more expensive siblings.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $6,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn an additional 5,000 Bonus Miles after you make an eligible Delta purchase with your new card within your first 6 months. Offer Ends 10/25/23.
- Card Members save 15% when booking Award Travel with miles on Delta flights when using delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
- Check and stow your bag with ease: First Checked Bag Free on Delta Flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding.
- Earn 2 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases at U.S. shipping providers and eligible U.S. advertising purchases in select media. Effective 1/1/2024, this benefit will have a cap of $50,000 in eligible purchases per category, per year.
- Earn 2 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent at restaurants.
- Earn 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
- Additionally, receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel after you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel overseas.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 2X Miles per dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta
- 2X miles per dollar on eligible U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- 2X miles per dollar on eligible U.S. shipping purchases
- 2X miles per dollar on eligible dining purchases
- 1X miles per dollar on all other eligible purchases
- (Effective 1/1/2024, 2X on eligible U.S. purchases for advertising in select media and eligible U.S. shipping purchases will have an annual cap of $50,000 in eligible purchases per category)
Highlights of the card include a rewarding welcome offer, a free first checked bag, priority boarding, and $99 annual fee ($0 intro annual fee for the first year) (Rates & Fees). In addition to the Business Gold Delta Amex, the Delta credit card family offers two cards:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
The Business Gold Delta Amex has some great features if you regularly fly Delta and can make use of the benefits, or if you live in a Delta hub and need to fly Delta. But does it offer stand-alone value for the average small business owner? We’ll dig into the details and let you decide.
Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles SkyMiles
New cardholders of the Business Gold Delta Amex can earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $6,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn an additional 5,000 Bonus Miles after you make an eligible Delta purchase with your new card within your first 6 months. Offer Ends 10/25/23.
The 75,000-mile offer on the Business Gold Delta Amex has an achievable minimum spend, well within the spending threshold of most business owners. Bear in mind, you're only eligible for a welcome offer once per lifetime for each American Express product.
Earning Potential Outside the Welcome Offer
One of the drawbacks of the card is the lackluster bonus categories and no additional methods of earning bonus miles on spending. The card earns 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta and dining at restaurants worldwide; 2x miles on eligible U.S. purchases for advertising in select media and on eligible U.S. shipping purchases (effective 1/1/2024, this benefit will have an annual cap of $50,000 in eligible purchases per category); and 1 mile for every dollar spent on other eligible purchases.
Unfortunately, it doesn't put the card in the same league as other business cards that earn 3X or more in similar categories. For example, if you make frequent online ad buys or shipping purchases, you could earn 3X points on the first $150,000 in combined purchases in those categories with the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card. Not only is 3X better than 2X, but the Ultimate Rewards earned by the Ink Preferred are significantly more valuable and versatile than Delta SkyMiles.
Delta Benefits That Could Save You Hundreds of Dollars a Year
One of the motivating factors for keeping the Business Gold Delta Amex is the first checked bag free on every Delta flight, which could save you up to $60 per round-trip. The card charges a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99 (Rates & Fees), so you only need to take two round-trip flights on Delta with checked baggage to offset the card’s out-of-pocket expense for the first two years.
Another benefit of the card tackles one of the pain points of regular air travel: boarding. No need to worry about the typical herding in long lines to enter the aircraft because the Business Gold Delta Amex offers priority boarding, allowing you early access to the plane to get settled, and mitigating the chance of a full overhead locker in which to stash your carry-on.
You also get a 20% discount on in-flight meals, alcoholic beverages, and entertainment options when paid for with your Business Gold Delta Amex, returned as a statement credit against your next monthly account.
Who Should Apply for the Business Gold Delta Amex?
With a decent welcome offer, a $99 annual fee ($0 intro annual fee for the first year), free first checked bag, and in-flight discounts, the Business Gold Delta Amex is an easy-to-understand airline rewards card with tangible benefits that have a measurable dollar value.
The card is a good fit for small business owners who value simplicity and low out-of-pocket expenses (additional employee cards cost $0 - Rates & Fees).
It also presents another rewards card option that doesn’t show up on your Chase 5/24 count, leaving you in a position to move on good Chase rewards cards when the bonuses are high.
Downsides to the Business Gold Delta Amex Card
This one should be a no-brainer, but; if you don’t fly Delta, this is not the card for you. Additionally, if you already have Delta Elite status, or you are looking to gain it, then the Business Platinum Delta Amex or Business Delta Reserve cards may be a better option as they earn Medallion Qualifying Miles.
Another downside is Delta’s lack of transparency and limited high-value redemptions. It is hard to know if you are getting top value for your SkyMiles when there is no official Delta award chart to compare what rates are available.
If you fly airlines other than Delta, you will be better off with business cards that earn high-value flexible points like the Ink Preferred, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, or Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card.
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card is a solid low-cost airline miles card with a 75,000-mile welcome offer and some great benefits for everyday Delta flyers.
If you are looking for account simplicity, a free checked bag, and a way of adding miles to your SkyMiles account, have a closer look at the Business Gold Delta Amex benefits on the Amex website to see if it's right for you.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.