AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes. Per the La Quinta website, points expire if you have no stay activity in an 18-month period.
“Members who do not have any stay activity within an 18-month consecutive period may be removed from the program, and all accrued points will be forfeited.”
So not only will you lose your points, but your entire account may be terminated, and your points forfeit. The only way to keep your points and account alive is to complete a stay at least once every 18 months.
Meeting The Activity Requirement
Even though the La Quinta T&Cs state that a stay activity is required once every 18 months to extend the validity of your points, in reality, any earning redemption activity appears to reset your expiration clock.
The following earning activities count towards keeping your points alive:
- Earn points for a stay at a La Quinta Hotel
- Purchase wine with Vinesse
- Rent a car with a partner, including Hertz, Avis, and others
- Earn points for taking part in online surveys with e-rewards
- If you connect your social accounts and follow LQ Returns it looks like you can quickly earn up to 500 points and we're guessing they'll keep your points alive
Redeeming activity also counts, and you can redeem your La Quinta Points for the following:
- Transferring your points to Wyndham will extend their life (along with your Wyndham Rewards)
- Use your points for a stay at a La Quinta Property
- Use your points for a stay at Luxury resort and hotel
- Redeem your points for various magazine subscriptions
If your points are nearing expiry and you have no planned stays at any La Quinta properties or other earning/redemption plans you have a problem. However, a quick search reveals one possible solution. There are a few cases around of individuals reaching out to La Quinta on social media and via customer service about points about to expire and receiving 10 complimentary points from La Quinta to reset the expiration clock. This is something to bear in mind although there is no guarantee it would work every time, but it might be worth it as a last resort.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.