AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
For just 5 more days, American Express is running a transfer bonus of 30% on all Membership Rewards points transfers to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. This bonus is just one of 10 Membership Rewards transfer bonuses running now through September 30, 2021.
The offer cannot be seen publicly but is valid on all Membership Rewards transfers to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. To view the offer, just log in to your Membership Rewards account.
- Receive a 30% bonus when you transfer Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic.
- The promotion is valid through September 30, 2021.
- Transfers must be in increments of 1,000 points.
- The bonus is hardcoded in the transfer. You will receive 1,300 points for every 1,000 points you transfer.
Using Virgin Atlantic Points
Virgin Atlantic has a wide range of sweets spots, not only on its own flights but also on partner flights. Historically, booking Delta flights with Virgin points was great value. However, a recent devaluation has eradicated most of the sweet spots there. That being said, there is still excellent value to be had using Virgin points for the following:
- Flying ANA first class between Japan and destinations in Europe, Central and Eastern US, or Mexico for 120,000 points round trip or 60,000 points one way.
- Domestic economy awards aboard Delta are excellent value, as long as you keep the route distance under 2,000 miles.
- Short-haul flights between North America, Mexico, and the Caribbean (under 2,000 miles) are great value in economy. Here's an example: a round-trip award from Boston to Bermuda requires only 17,000 points.
How Does The Deal Stack Up?
When it comes to special offers on transferring points from American Express to Virgin Atlantic, a 30% transfer bonus is standard. Historically, this promotion comes around roughly once a year, although it is no surprise that none were offered in 2020. Before that, Amex offered the following transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic:
- 30% transfer bonus in November 2017
- 30% transfer bonus in September 2018
- 30% transfer bonus in December 2019
While you can usually judge a promotion simply on its own merits, you may also want to consider other Amex transfer options. Amex kicked off September with a huge bang and is currently offering 12 (yes, we said twelve) transfer bonuses to partner programs. The bonuses on offer range from a 15% bonus on transfers to Avianca LifeMiles up to a 40% transfer bonus to Iberia, British Airways, and Aer Lingus.
Other Options To Boost Your Virgin Atlantic Balance
If you have a specific redemption in mind and are looking to boost your Virgin Atlantic Flying Club balance, you have plenty of options. You can transfer all of the following points to Virgin Atlantic:
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 transfer rate — with a 30% transfer bonus through September 30, 2021)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1 transfer rate)
- Citi ThankYou Rewards (1:1 transfer rate)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 transfer rate with a 5,000-point bonus for transferring 60,000 points)
With so many variables to consider, think carefully before transferring points. Consider which program may provide the best value for your booking and whether those numbers change because of the numerous promotions available. Decide what works best for your travel plans, spending patterns, and various points balances. Also, remember that, no matter how good the bonus is, it is never a good idea to transfer credit card points speculatively since you lose flexibility when you do.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.