AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
As Capital One's first foray into the premium credit card market, the Capital One Venture X comes packed with feature benefits, including a $300 travel credit for purchases made through Capital One Travel, lounge access perks, plus 10,000 bonus miles each anniversary year.
- 2 miles per dollar on all eligible purchases
- 5 miles per dollar on flights when booking via Capital One Travel
- 10 miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars when booking via Capital One Travel
Let's take a look at the highlights of the Capital One Venture X, and see if and where it fits into your rewards strategy.
Capital One Venture X Welcome Offer
New Capital One Venture X cardmembers can take home an excellent welcome offer of 75,000 Venture Miles! While it's not as high as the previous 100,000-mile offer, the spending requirement is much more achievable at just $4,000 in the first 3 months.
As for the annual fee, it's downright cheap compared to other premium products on the market. At $395 a year, this card is almost half the $695 fee of The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees) and $155 less than the $550 fee for the Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
Earning Capital One Rewards Miles
Once upon a time, Capital One Rewards miles weren't very exciting. But, these days, it's a different story. Capital One miles now transfer to 17 partners, and miles transfer to almost all of these partners at a 1:1 rate.
|Loyalty Program||Transfer Ratio||Miles/Points per 1,000 Capital One Miles Transferred|
|AeroMexico (Club Premier)||1:1||1,000|
|Air Canada (Aeroplan)||1:1||1,000|
|Air France/KLM (Flying Blue)||1:1||1,000|
|British Airways (Executive Club)||1:1||1,000|
|Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles)||1:1||1,000|
|Etihad (Etihad Guest)||1:1||1,000|
|Finnair (Finnair Plus)||1:1||1,000|
|Qantas (Frequent Flyer)||1:1||1,000|
|TAP Air Portugal (Miles&Go)||1:1||1,000|
|Turkish Airlines (Miles&Smiles)||1:1||1,000|
|Virgin Red (includes Virgin Atlantic Flying Club)||1:1||1,000|
|EVA Air (Infinity MileageLands)||2:1.5||750|
|Choice Hotels (Choice Privileges)||1:1||1,000|
|Wyndham (Wyndham Rewards)||1:1||1,000|
|Accor (Accor Live Limitless)||2:1||500|
Or, rewards can still be used for a traditional “fixed-value redemption” option — where you essentially redeem your miles at a fixed value rate of 1¢ per mile as a statement credit for eligible travel expenses.
Just like several other Capital One branded cards, the Capital One Venture X earns Capital One Rewards miles (or Venture Miles, or whatever you want to refer to them as). Like the Capital One Venture, you'll earn miles at a rate of 2 miles for every dollar spent.
The Capital One Venture X also offers elevated miles earning in several travel-related categories:
- 10x miles on hotels and rental cars booked with Capital One Travel
- 5x miles on flights booked with Capital One Travel
Compare the current 75,000-mile bonus with the other cards from Capital One that earn miles:
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card — Earn a bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. Annual fee of $0.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card — Enjoy a one-time bonus of 75,000 Miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. Annual fee of $95.
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business — Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles - equal to $500 in travel once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. Annual fee of $0 intro for first year; $95 after that.
- Capital One Spark Cash Plus — Earn up to a $1,000 cash bonus; $500 once you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months, and $500 once you spend $50,000 in the first 6 months of account opening. Annual fee of $150.
Other Card Benefits
Like all good premium rewards cards, this one comes with a fat stack of benefits. Here are the perks the Capital One Venture X card touts:
- $300 annual credit for bookings including hotels, flights rental cars, and more made on Capital One Travel
- 10,000 bonus miles each anniversary year
- Hertz President's Circle elite status
- Unlimited access to Capital One lounges
- Complimentary Priority Pass lounge access
- $100 TSA PreCheck or Global Entry credit
Who Should Get the Capital One Venture X
There aren't many points and miles fans who would not benefit from this card. The fee is downright reasonable and the welcome offer is fantastic. In fact, the anniversary miles and the $300 travel credit more than outweigh the $395 annual fee.
Additionally, the card earns 2x miles on all purchases and up to 10x in bonus categories. Best of all, those miles can be transferred to lots of fantastic partners. Some of my favorite partners are Avianca LifeMiles, Air Canada Aeroplan, and Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles.
For example, I recently used my Capital One miles to travel to Italy. I transferred Capital One miles to Avianca and then used those LifeMiles to book my flight on Lufthansa.
Capital One's application rules are simple and relatively lenient. Nevertheless, some people find that they are unable to get a Capital One card even if they technically should be eligible.
The first thing to know is that you can get 1 new Capital One credit card every 6 months. This is for both consumer and business credit cards. Additionally, you can only hold 2 Capital One branded credit cards at a time.
The last thing you need to know here is that Capital One pulls your credit report from all 3 bureaus. Whether this is a big deal or not really depends on what you've got going on with your credit. For some people, that many credit pulls is a major deal-breaker. For others, it's a non-issue.
The current introductory offer on the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card can land new card members a stack of miles which are extremely valuable following all the program updates, and snagging 75,000 bonus miles with a $4,000 spend is a great deal. Add in all of the benefits and perks for just $395 a year and this card is a must-have.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.