AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Through December 27, 2021, you can buy Finnair Plus points at 0.7¢ each. This promotion also offers a path to top-tier elite status. That's because purchases during this promotion include bonus tier points. You could effectively buy your way to top-tier Oneworld Emerald status. But is it worth it? Here's a look at the costs and information.
Promotion to Buy Finnair Points and Earn Tier Points
This promotion from Finnair includes two elements: you can buy points with a bonus and you receive bonus tier points. Tier points are what you need for earning status with Finnair Plus. Thus, you can not only buy miles with a bonus but also can easily achieve Oneworld status.
This is a tiered promotion, so the bonus is higher when you buy more Finnair points.
Finnair also provides some examples of the bonuses and tier points earned:
- This promotion runs from December 15-27, 2021.
- You can buy Finnair points with up to a 100% bonus.
- At a 100% bonus, you will pay just 0.7¢ per Finnair Plus point.
- Members can purchase 150,000 points maximum per year, but that is increased to 200,000 only during this promotion.
- If you buy the maximum of 200,000 points, you will receive a total of 400,000 Finnair Plus points after the bonus — plus you'll receive 100,000 tier points.
- Points purchases do not count toward tier point earning; only the bonus tier points count for status eligibility.
- Points will be added to your account within 3 business days.
Earning Oneworld Status via This Promotion
Finnair Plus elite status requires the following number of tier points:
- 30,000 tier points for Finnair Plus Silver (Oneworld Ruby)
- 80,000 tier points for Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
- 150,000 tier points for Finnair Plus Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
To get Oneworld Ruby, you need to buy a total of 120,000 points through this promotion. To do so, buy a base of 75,000 points and get a 45,000 point bonus for €965.63 ($1,085):
For Oneworld Sapphire, you'll need to buy a total of 320,000 points through this promotion. To get that, buy a base of 160,000 points and get a 100% bonus. Total cost of €2,060 ($2,315):
If you buy the maximum of 400,000 Finnair Plus points (after the bonus) through this promotion, you'll come away with 100,000 tier points. That leaves you 50,000 tier points shy of top-tier Oneworld Emerald / Finnair Plus Platinum. So, you'll need to complete a second step.
Finnair Allows Converting Points to Tier Points
You can convert Finnair points (miles redeemable for award flights) to tier points (what you need for status) at a 3:1 ratio. You can convert once online per year; for subsequent conversions, you must call Finnair to request the conversion. Online conversions have a flat fee of 10 euros (~$11). Phone transfers have a flat fee of 20 euros (~$22).
If you buy the maximum of 200,000 points, you'll earn 100,000 tier points bonus, putting you just 50,000 tier points away from Finnair Plus Platinum / Oneworld Emerald. To get these extra 50,000 tier points, you will need to convert 150,000 Plus points (redeemable miles).
After this, you would still have 250,000 redeemable miles for booking award flights. Plus, you'd have elite status and its corresponding perks.
Is It Worth It?
It depends on how much you will use the status and redemptions you'll make with your miles. Speaking purely to the costs of this promotion, consider these two aspects:
- You will buy miles at 0.7¢ each
- You will buy tier points at 2.9¢ each
Your total out-of-pocket costs if you buy the maximum number of points and do one online points conversion will be 2,585 euros. That's approximately $2,929 USD. For this price, you would be buying a remaining balance of 250,000 miles in your account and top-tier Oneworld Emerald status.
For a full breakdown of status perks and benefits you get with Finnair Plus, you can see the details here.
To get an idea of what you can do with Finnair Plus points, here is the award redemption chart for Finnair flights:
Buying Finnair Plus points at 0.7¢ each, you're paying:
- $105 round-trip for flights within Northern Europe — or a one-way flight within Europe.
- $175 one-way for a business class ticket within Europe.
- $560 one-way for business class between Europe and North America or Asia.
- Northern Europe: Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Gdansk, Krakow, Moscow, Oslo, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Reykjavik, Riga, Tallinn, Tartu, Tromso, Visby, Vilnius, Warsaw
- Europe: Tel Aviv and Dubai
Each Finnair partner has a different award chart, unfortunately. Some redemptions can be great, while others can be…meh. Note that award bookings with Finnair can only have one partner (plus connections on Finnair). For example, you can't have a British Airways flight and an American Airways flight on the same award itinerary using Finnair Plus points.
Note that Finnair Plus points expire after 18 months of inactivity.
Other Ways to Stock Up on Finnair Plus Points
Don't want to buy points? Finnair Plus is a transfer part of Capital One. You can transfer Venture Miles at a 1:1 ratio to Finnair Plus. Transfers should be immediate. Alternatively, you can transfer Accor Live Limitless points to Finnair at a 1:1 ratio.
This is an extremely interesting promotion. Finnair ran a promotion to buy points and earn status tier points last year, and it was massively popular. No wonder it's back again.
The status-earning part of this promotion is best-suited for those who can fly Finnair as you get vouchers for confirmed upgrades on Finnair-operated flights. Plus, you can't add more than one partner to an award booking. Purely considering the opportunity to buy Finnair Plus points at 0.7¢ each, this is the lowest price we've seen from Finnair — thanks to the 100% bonus.
Are you planning to buy Finnair points or pursue status during this promotion?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.