AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
American Express Membership Rewards is offering 12 airline transfer bonuses for the month of September 2022 — with 2 hotel transfer bonuses extending until October 2022, and that includes a 25% transfer bonus to Choice Privileges. Let's review if this is a good deal.
Amex to Choice Privileges Transfer Bonus
Until October 31, 2022, Amex is offering a 25% transfer bonus when converting to Choice Privileges points. To take advantage of this transfer bonus, visit the Amex Membership Rewards transfer page. During this promotion, you will get 1,250 Choice Privileges points for every 1,000 points transferred from Amex.
Terms and Conditions
- Points can be transferred in 1,000 increments, starting at 1,000 up to 9,999,000.
- Points usually transfer instantly but could take up to 48 hours.
- This promotion ends on October 31, 2022, at which point transfers will revert to the usual 1:1 ratio.
Is Transferring Amex Points to Choice Worth It?
Generally, it's a bad deal to transfer Amex points to Choice Privileges. AwardWallet values Choice points at around 0.6 cents each. That means you can expect to get 0.6 cents per Membership Rewards point in value when transferring Amex points to Choice.
This 25% transfer bonus makes the value slightly better. With the transfer bonus, you'll get 1.25 Choice points (worth around 0.75 cents per point) per Amex point transferred. That's far less than the value you're going to get from other Amex transfer partners — unless you find a remarkably good Choice points redemption.
If you want Choice points, you can currently buy them for as little as 0.79 cents each through the latest Choice buy points promotion.
Alternatively, you can get Choice points through the sole Choice Hotels credit card: the Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card issued by Barclays. This card is currently offering a 32,000-point sign-up bonus, but offers have gone up as high as 75,000 (as it did in November 2021).
Other Ongoing Amex Transfer Bonuses
As mentioned above, there are 11 other transfer bonuses currently being offered by Amex:
- Aer Lingus AerClub 25% transfer bonus
- AeroMexico Club Premier 20% transfer bonus
- Air Canada Aeroplan 15% transfer bonus
- Air France/KLM 25% transfer bonus
- Avianca LifeMiles 15% transfer bonus
- British Airways Executive Club 25% transfer bonus
- Hawaiian Airlines 20% transfer bonus
- Qantas Frequent Flyer 20% transfer bonus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club 30% transfer bonus
- Hilton Honors 30% transfer bonus
- Marriott Bonvoy 20% transfer bonus
Not everyone wants to use their Amex points to transfer into an airline or hotel program. The transfer ratio is quite poor without the current transfer bonuses — and not much better with the bonus. This is the kind of thing to take advantage of when you just need to top off your account for an upcoming hotel stay. So if you were thinking about transferring points between programs, now is the time to do it.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.