AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Chase is at it again, announcing yet another lucrative transfer bonus for Ultimate Rewards points. This time, Ultimate Rewards point collectors will get a 30% transfer bonus when transferring points to British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, or Aer Lingus AerClub Avios. This bonus starts today (August 30) and lasts through September 26, 2021.
30% Avios Transfer Bonus Key Terms
- Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to British Airways, Iberia, or Aer Lingus and receive 30% bonus Avios.
- This bonus is available on points transfers through 11:59PM ET on September 26, 2021.
- Transfers between Chase Ultimate Rewards and British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus Avios are typically instant.
- Must transfer points in increments of 1,000 with a minimum transfer of 1,000 points.
It appears that the bonus is not hardcoded on Chase's end of the transfer. That means that although you'll see the bonus clearly listed as you're preparing the conversion (like the screenshot below), Chase doesn't process the bonus itself. Instead, the target loyalty program (British, Iberia, or Aer Lingus) issues the bonus Avios on their end. So, once you've transferred points, you'll see a separate transaction depositing the 30% bonus.
Best Ways to Leverage 30% Bonus Avios
Put plainly, a 30% transfer bonus is significant. Depending on the circumstances, it can save you a considerable amount of points for your travels.
Of your three choices, the two most valuable transfer partners are certainly British Airways and Iberia. Both belong to Oneworld and utilize the Avios currency. However, their respective programs have entirely different sweet spots.
Transfer to British Airways Executive Club
British Airways utilizes a distance-based award chart that (unfortunately) prices each segment individually. Moreover, the airline is famous for levying sky-high carrier-imposed surcharges for redemptions on British Airways metal to/from/via London. That means that long-haul, multi-segment itineraries aren't worth pursuing. They cost far too many points and out-of-pocket cash for the value.
Consequently, the ‘sweet spot' for the British Airways Executive Club program tends to be with short-haul, one-segment itineraries—particularly on partner aircraft.
We've written before about how valuable British Airways Avios can be for booking short award flights on AA. But more specifically, one of my favorite ways to redeem Avios is for flights between the West Coast of the U.S. and Hawaii.
The standard award rate from Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) is 13,000 Avios each way — or 26,000 Avios round trip. However, with a 30% transfer bonus, this round trip itinerary to Hawaii could be yours for as few as 10,000 Ultimate Rewards points each way!
Transfer to Iberia Plus
Like British Airways, Iberia Plus now utilizes a distance-based award chart that prices each segment individually. However, Iberia charges far more reasonable surcharges on award redemptions comparatively. Also, Iberia partners with additional airlines — such as Avianca and LATAM.
With Iberia, the best redemption is often found when booking short/medium-haul itineraries with partners or on Iberia itself.
Perhaps one of Iberia's greatest sweet spots is with off-peak awards in Iberia business class. This is particularly lucrative for awards from the Midwest/East Coast of the U.S. to Iberia's hub in Madrid.
An off-peak award in Iberia business class from Chicago (ORD) to Madrid (MAD) costs just 34,000 Avios. However, utilizing Chase's 30% transfer bonus, you could book this eight-hour business class flight for only 27,000 Ultimate Rewards points! That's less expensive than what many programs charge for the same itinerary in economy!
Boost Your Ultimate Rewards Balance
This 30% transfer bonus is only available for 4 weeks. So, only those with an existing Ultimate Rewards balance are going to be able to take advantage of this Avios transfer bonus. However, if you're looking to build your Ultimate Rewards balance after utilizing this transfer bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is offering a 60,000-point sign-up bonus:
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
Meanwhile, small business owners can earn 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points through the current Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card sign-up bonus:
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- 3X points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year
- 1X point per $1 on all other purchases
Chase has announced a new 30% transfer bonus for transfers to Avios programs through September 26, 2021. Until this year, Chase lagged behind as the major flexibly award currency that historically offered the fewest transfer bonuses. Now, that seems to be changing. It's encouraging to see Chase picking up the pace.
This transfer bonus matches the first transfer bonus we saw Chase offer for Ultimate Rewards points in 2019 (which excluded Aer Lingus) and a 30% transfer bonus that was offered to all three Avios programs through December 6, 2020.
A 30% bonus is significant enough to make previously out-of-reach redemptions fall within your budget. If you need to book any upcoming travel, be sure to check the award rates with any of these partners first.
Will you take advantage of Chase's 30% transfer bonus to British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.