AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
At the end of last month, Chase launched another lucrative transfer bonus for Ultimate Rewards points. This time, Ultimate Rewards collectors will get a 30% transfer bonus with British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, and Aer Lingus AerClub Avios. This Avios 30% transfer bonus bonus runs through September 22, 2023. If you've been waiting — or even forgot it was running — this is your last opportunity to take advantage of this offer.
Avios 30% Transfer Bonus Key Terms
- Transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, and Aer Lingus AerClub to receive 30% bonus Avios.
- This bonus is available on points transfers through 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 22, 2023.
- Transfers are typically instant.
- Must transfer points in increments of 1,000 with a minimum transfer of 1,000 points.
These bonuses can be found on Chase's end of the transfer. That means you'll see them clearly listed as you're preparing the transfer (like the screenshot below) from your Ultimate Rewards portal. Once you've transferred your points, you'll see the 30% bonus points included in your account.
Best Ways To Leverage the Avios Transfer Bonus
Put plainly, a 30% transfer bonus is quite significant. Depending on the circumstances, it can save you a considerable amount of points for your travels.
The great thing about Avios is that you can easily transfer Avios between programs at British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, and Qatar Airways. Each program has its own sweet spots, and the ability to freely (and instantly) move Avios to Qatar Airways means this transfer bonus effectively includes Qatar Airways Privilege Club. That unlocks extra access to Qsuite bookings, for example.
Transfer to Aer Lingus AerClub
While your strategy for maximizing most Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer partners involves booking flights with partner airlines, Aer Lingus AerClub Avios are often best used for flights operated by Aer Lingus. If you can travel on off-peak dates, you can fly from the U.S. East Coast to Ireland for a mere 13,000 Avios each way in economy.
Flying between the rest of the U.S. and Ireland during off-peak dates costs only 16,250 Avios each way in economy. This is a solid deal for nonstop flights to Ireland. If you’d prefer to fly in business class, awards start at 50,000 Avios from the East Coast or 62,500 Avios from further away.
Transfer to British Airways Executive Club
British Airways utilizes a distance-based award chart that (unfortunately) prices each segment individually. Moreover, the airline is famous for levying sky-high carrier-imposed surcharges for redemptions on British Airways metal to/from/via London. That means long-haul, multi-segment itineraries aren't worth pursuing. They cost far too many points and out-of-pocket cash for the value.
Consequently, the “sweet spot” for the British Airways Executive Club program tends to be with short-haul, one-segment itineraries — particularly on partner aircraft.
We've written before about how valuable British Airways Avios can be for booking short award flights on AA. More specifically, one of my favorite ways to redeem Avios is for flights between the U.S. West Coast and Hawaii.
The standard award rate from Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) is 13,000 Avios each way or 26,000 Avios round trip. However, with a 30% transfer bonus, flights to Hawaii could be yours for as few as 10,000 Ultimate Rewards points each way!
Transfer to Iberia Plus
Like British Airways, Iberia Plus utilizes a distance-based award chart that prices each segment individually. However, Iberia assesses far more reasonable surcharges on award redemptions than BA does. Also, Iberia partners with additional airlines like Avianca and LATAM.
With Iberia, the best redemption is often found when booking short/medium-haul itineraries with partners or on Iberia itself.
Perhaps Iberia's greatest sweet spot is off-peak awards in Iberia business class. This is particularly lucrative for awards between Iberia's hub in Madrid and the Midwest/East Coast of the United States.
An off-peak award in Iberia business class from Madrid (MAD) to Chicago (ORD) costs just 34,000 Avios. However, utilizing Chase's 30% transfer bonus, you could book this eight-hour business-class flight for only 27,000 Ultimate Rewards points! That's less expensive than what many programs charge for the same itinerary in economy.
Boost Your Ultimate Rewards Balance
This 30% transfer bonus is only available for less than a month. Thus, only those with an existing Ultimate Rewards balance will be able to take advantage of this Avios transfer bonus. However, if you're looking to rebuild your Ultimate Rewards balance after depleting it during this transfer bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is offering a 60,000-point sign-up bonus.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining, and 2x on all other travel purchases, and $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- Member FDIC
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2025
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
Meanwhile, small business owners can earn 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points through the current Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card sign-up bonus.
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $8,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- Round-the-clock monitoring for unusual credit card purchases
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Member FDIC
- 3X points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year
- 1X point per $1 on all other purchases
Pay Attention to Expiration Policies
Remember that transfers are one-way only. Until you have a plan to redeem your Avios (and have confirmed that award space is available), you shouldn't transfer your Chase points to partner accounts.
If you do wind up with Avios stuck in one of your accounts, they won't expire unless you have 36 months of inactivity. That same policy applies to Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, and Qatar Airways.
Chase has a 30% transfer bonus on transfers to Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club, and Iberia Plus through September 22, 2023. With the ability to transfer Avios between programs, the 30% transfer bonus effectively includes Qatar Airways, as well.
A 30% bonus is significant enough to make previously out-of-reach redemptions fall within your budget. If you need to book any upcoming travel, be sure to check the award rates with any of these partners first. And if you're planning to take advantage of this transfer bonus, remember that it's ending soon.
Will you take advantage of Chase's 30% transfer bonus to Iberia, Aer Lingus, and British Airways?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.