AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
There's a new promotion to buy American Airlines miles almost every month, and this month is no different. The March award sale lets you buy AA miles with up to a 45% discount now through March 15, 2021. That drops the purchase rate as low as 2.07¢ per mile.
When Should You Buy AA Miles?
As with other loyalty programs, we don’t recommend jumping on every American Airlines buy-miles promotion that comes along. Award programs can devalue with little notice, so you are almost always better off holding cash.
With that said, there are a couple of cases where it does make sense to buy AAdvantage miles. For instance, if you only need a few more miles to complete a specific redemption, purchasing AA miles might be the fastest and most cost-effective route. Additionally, if you're going to consider paying cash for a premium ticket, you may want to consider buying miles instead, since the cost for the required mileage could be considerably cheaper than paying for the product outright.
Some travelers may decide to buy AA miles to extend the expiration date. However, there are plenty of other options to extend your AAdvantage account. For example, just by commenting on an AwardWallet post, you'll earn 5 AAdvantage miles and extend your expiration date.
AA Buy Miles Offer Details
- Promo valid through 11:59 p.m CT March 15, 2021
- Receive up to a 45% discount
- Must buy or gift at least 15,000 miles to be eligible for any discount
- You can buy up to a maximum of 150,000 miles
- AA accounts must be older than 30 days to purchase miles
- Purchased miles are non-refundable and non-reversible
- Miles purchased, transferred, or received as a gift do not count towards elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million Miler status
This promotion operates on a tiered system, with a different discount offered depending on how many points you plan to purchase.
Where to Find the Best Value
AA buy miles promotions aren't known for their transparent pricing, and that's apparent with the current promotion. In order to discern the price you'll pay, you're required to use a mileage calculator that integrates the discount.
For these sales, AA tends to rotate between offering either a discount or a bonus. The current promotion falls into the former category. In this case, the cheapest rate is found when you buy 150,000 miles for $3,104.07 (after discount)—equaling 2.07¢ per mile.
Pay Less When You Buy AAdvantage Miles
We've posted about some of the best sweet spots in the AAdvantage program and the recent surge in AA “Web Special” offerings. Let's pick a few of these redemptions and compare the typical cash price with the cost to purchase American Airlines miles under the terms of this promotion.
Los Angeles — Johannesburg in Qatar QSuite
- Mileage Rate: 75,000 miles
- Typical Cash Price: $5,920
- Redemption Rate: 7.9 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 75,000 AA Miles: $2,116
- Cost of Buying 75,000 AA Miles at 2.07¢ per mile: $1,553
New York — Sydney in Qantas Business Class [not currently operating]
- Mileage Rate: 80,000 miles
- Typical Cash Price: $6,228
- Redemption Rate: 7.74 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 80,000 AA Miles: $2,258
- Cost of Buying 80,000 AA Miles at 2.07¢ per mile: $1,656
Abu Dhabi — Singapore in Etihad First Class
- Mileage Rate: 50,000 miles
- Typical Cash Price: $4,089
- Redemption Rate: 8.2 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 50,000 AA Miles: $1,411
- Cost of Buying 50,000 AA Miles at 2.07¢ per mile: $1,035
Boston — Sao Paulo in AA First Class (an AA Web Special)
- Mileage Rate: 60,500 miles*
- Typical Cash Price: $2,167
- Redemption Rate: 3.57 cents per mile
- Cost to Buy 60,500 AA Miles: $1,721
- Cost of Buying 60,500 AA Miles at 2.07¢ per mile: $1,252
Buy AA Miles with the Right Card to Maximize Your Rewards
When you buy American Airlines miles, your purchase will code as airfare because AA processes these transactions directly. This is great news because it means you'll be eligible for the travel-category bonus on many credit cards. Some of the best cards to use would be:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express — 5X Membership Rewards Points
- Citi Prestige® Card — 5X ThankYou Points
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® — 3X Ultimate Rewards Points
- Citi Premier® Card — 3X ThankYou Points
- American Express® Gold Card — 3X Membership Rewards Points
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — 2X Ultimate Rewards Points
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
Other Ways to Earn AA Miles
If you're not in a hurry, another way to beef up your AAdvantage stash is through a sign-up bonus on a co-branded credit card. For example, the AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard® is currently offering the chance to earn up to 75,000 bonus AAdvantage miles: Earn 65,000 miles after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days. Earn 10,000 miles when a purchase is made on an employee card. Some of the other options include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
- Free checked bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic itineraries
- Priority boarding to help you win the race for overhead bin space
- A 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards can save you 7,500 miles on roundtrip MileSAAver Awards
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on cable and satellite providers
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at gas stations
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on select telecommunications merchants
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on car rentals
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
This sale's 2.07¢ per mile rate is one of the poorer buy miles purchase rates that we've seen from an AAdvantage promotion. Considering that it's been a while since AA has not run a buy miles promotion, you should wait for a better option if you don't have an immediate need for miles.
Are you buying AA miles at 2.07¢ a piece?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.