AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
The IHG PointBreaks promotion has been extended, please see more details here.
IHG has announced its hotel list for the revamped PointBreaks Promo for Q1 2018. Last week we reported on the changes coming to the promo and the introduction of 10,000 and 15,000 points per night redemptions. This quarter’s promo is valid for stays through April 30, 2018. The new list is an improvement on previous versions, which had suffered from a distinct lack of quality in the properties available.
- IHG has introduced 3 tiers of PointBreaks properties costing 5,000, 10,000, and 15,000 points
- IHG has introduced the ability to use points & cash on PointBreaks bookings, potentially reducing the cost of 15,000 and 10,000-point bookings
Properties in The US & Canada
- Holiday Inn Rochester NY – Downtown
- Candlewood Suites Williamsport
- Crowne Plaza Albuquerque
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites San Antonio Northwest
- Crowne Plaza Suites Arlington – Ballpark – Stadium
- Crowne Plaza Pittsfield-Berkshires
Properties in Latin America & Mexico
- Hotel Indigo Veracruz Boca Del Rio
- Holiday Inn Belo Horizonte Savassi
- InterContinental Cali
- InterContinental Medellin
- InterContinental Sao Paulo
- InterContinental Cartagena De Indias
- InterContinental Real Santo Domingo
- InterContinental Miramar Panama
- InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Properties in Europe
- Holiday Inn Nola – Naples Vulcano Buono
- Holiday Inn Express Istanbul Airport
- Staybridge Suites St. Petersburg
- Crowne Plaza Istanbul – Florya
- InterContinental Kiev
- Holiday Inn Nice
Properties in Asia & Australia
- ANA Crowne Plaza Wakkanai
- Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
- Crowne Plaza Kathmandu – Soaltee
- Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
- Crowne Plaza Pune City Centre
- Ana Crowne Plaza Hiroshima
- Hotel Indigo Kaohsiung Central Park
Properties in Africa & The Middle-East
- InterContinental Nairobi
- Crowne Plaza Beirut
- Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi
- InterContinental Le Vendôme Beirut
This quarter’s list is far more impressive in terms of the quality of the properties on offer, with 10 InterContinental hotels making the list while there were none in previous quarters.
Points & Cash Bookings
The introduction of points and cash bookings could end up being quite a valuable perk depending on your choice of property. Take for example the Crowne Plaza Syracuse, which would set you back 15,000 points for the promo or $130.66 cash per night.
Using the points & cash option, you can pay $50 and 10,000 points, or $80 and 5,000 points. While this is an expensive way to buy IHG points, effectively buying points for 1 cent or 0.8 cents a piece, it nevertheless has increased the value of IHG Points purchases promotions. Keep in mind, you *should* be able to purchase points at a better price, even when there aren't purchase promotions — just do some digging on other Points & Cash bookings.
Maximizing The Promotion And Earning IHG Points
The offer on the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card is no longer available through this site. Instead, check out the review of IHG's new premium rewards card.
You can maximize your earnings and the value of this promotion by using the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card. Cardholders receive an automatic 10% rebate on points redemptions (up to 100k/year), which means you will end up with a net cost of 4,500 points per night on a 5,000 point booking. Currently, the card has a 60,000-point signup bonus; enough for up to 13 nights (after you get the 10% rebate) depending on your property choice using the PointBreaks promotion.
The card comes with complimentary Platinum Elite status with IHG Rewards Club, as well as a handful of other benefits. Even without the promotion, IHG does have some excellent sweet spots for award redemptions that are well worth having a look at.
Whether this revamp adds value or not will depend on how IHG behaves in the long run. The list for this quarter is impressive in comparison to what we've seen recently.
If the trend continues, then IHG has added some nice value to PointBreaks. If on the other hand, this is just a sweetener for the first quarter to take the edge of the price hike, then like a lot of other loyalty program changes this revamp would be a bust.
Source: IHG PointBreaks
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.