AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Platinum Card® from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
American Airlines has announced a promotion where you can earn up to 85,000 bonus miles on miles purchases. The promotion is valid through August 31, 2018, and to earn the maximum bonus you need to purchase 150,000 miles.
- This mileage purchase promotion is valid through August 31, 2018
- Purchases are subject to a $35 transaction fee
- Your AA account must be older than 30 days to purchase miles
- Allow up to 8 hours for the purchased miles to post to your account
- You can purchase a maximum of 150,000 miles per calendar year
The promotion is tiered, and the more miles you purchase, the greater your bonus. You will earn the following bonus miles for the following purchase brackets:
- 15,000 – 29,000: Earn 3,500 bonus miles
- 30,000 – 49,000: Earn 10,000 bonus miles
- 50,000 – 74,000: Earn 22,500 bonus miles
- 75,000 – 99,000: Earn 40,000 bonus miles
- 100,000 – 149,000: Earn 55,000 bonus miles
- 150,000: Earn 85,000 bonus miles
In addition to the bonus miles, you will receive a 10% discount on the cost of miles.
Purchasing the maximum number of miles will yield 235,000 miles (150,000 + 85,000 bonus) for a cost of $4,316.19 which works out at 1.836 cents per mile. This is good value but not great, and we have seen better deals before.
Maximizing The Promotion
American Airlines processes miles purchases themselves, which means the purchase will code as a purchase with an airline (e.g., Air Travel). The biggest earner would be The Platinum Card® from American Express, which will earn you 5X Membership Rewards for your purchases. Otherwise, you should look at which cards are best for use with airline purchases; we'd otherwise focus on something that earns 3x if you don't have the Amex Platinum.
Speculative points purchases aren't our thing, but if you're in the market for AA miles or you're looking to leverage an AAdvantage Sweet Spot, this might be for you.
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.