AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines has announced a promotion offering up to 100,000 bonus miles when you purchase AA miles. To take advantage of the promotion you need to purchase at least 10,000 miles by April 30, 2019.
- The promotion runs through April 30, 2019, 11:59:59 pm CT
- Receive up to 100,000 bonus miles when you purchase AA miles
- You need to purchase a minimum of 10,000 miles to trigger a bonus
- You can purchase a maximum of 150,000 miles per year
- Allow up to 8 hours for the miles to post to your account
The bonus structure is tiered. Depending on how many miles you purchase, you will receive the following bonus:
- Purchase 10,000 – 19,000 miles and receive a 4,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 20,000 – 29,000 miles and receive a 7,500 mile bonus
- Purchase 30,000 – 39,000 miles and receive a 15,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 40,000 – 54,000 miles and receive a 22,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 55,000 – 69,000 miles and receive a 30,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 70,000 – 84,000 miles and receive a 40,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 85,000 – 119,000 miles and receive a 55,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 120,000 – 149,000 miles and receive a 75,000 mile bonus
- Purchase 150,000 miles and receive a 100,000 mile bonus
Remember, American Airlines processes mileage purchases themselves, so if you decide to take advantage of the promotion, you should use a credit card that earns bonus points when you buy airfare. For example, The Platinum Card® from American Express will earn 5X Membership Rewards per dollar (Terms Apply), the Citi Prestige®Card will earn 5X ThankYou Rewards per dollar, and the Chase Sapphire Reserve® will earn you 3X Ultimate Rewards per dollar. There are plenty of other options that we've included in a detailed post on the best credit cards to book flights.
Curious how many points you'll earn on other types of purchases? Check out the AwardWallet Merchant Lookup Tool.
The promotion could work out well for you depending on your travel plans. Taking full advantage of the promotion and purchasing the maximum number of miles will yield 250,000 miles for $4,460. This works out as 1.78 cents per mile. While that rate is not the cheapest we have seen, it is also not the most expensive. There are a ton of great ways to use American miles, many of which we have covered in our post on American Airlines sweet spots.
Before you purchase any miles, we highly recommend putting your desired award ticket on a five-day hold with American Airlines. Most points transfers will post within a few hours, so the ability to hold an award virtually guarantees you'll be able to book the ticket. If you're anxious to know as soon as your points post, AwardWallet can monitor your balance with our new Balance Watch feature.
Source: American Airlines
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.