AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promo has ended.
When the COVID-19 pandemic brought most travel to standstill, many airline and hotel programs paused point expiration. This was a relief for travelers worried that a lack of activity in their accounts could lead to losing large sums of points. As more people are traveling these days, here is the latest information on point expiration rules related to COVID-19.
- Aeroplan (Air Canada)
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- All Nippon Airways
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Avianca LifeMiles
- British Airways Executive Club
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Delta SkyMiles
- Emirates Skywards
- Etihad Guest
- Flying Blue (Air France/KLM)
- Frontier Miles
- Gulf Air Falconmiles
- Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
- Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Korean Air SKYPASS
- LATAM Pass Miles
- Malaysia Enrich
- Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Brussels, Eurowings, Swiss, LOT Polish)
- Qantas Points
- Qatar Qmiles
- Singapore KrisFlyer
- Southwest Rapid Rewards
- Turkish Miles & Smiles
- United MileagePlus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
|Aeroplan (Air Canada)||01/31/2022||18 months|
|Alaska Air Mileage Plan||none||24 months|
|All Nippon Airways||03/31/2022||36 months*|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||12/31/2021||18 months|
|Avianca LifeMiles||12/31/2021||24 months|
|British Airways Executive Club||none||36 months|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||none||18 months^|
|Delta SkyMiles||n/a||Miles don't expire|
|Emirates Skywards||12/31/2021||36 months*|
|Etihad Guest||none||18 months|
|Flying Blue (Air France/KLM)||12/31/2021||24 months|
|Frontier Miles||until further notice||6 months|
|Gulf Falconflyer||12/31/2022||3 years*|
|Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles||12/31/2020||Miles no longer expire as of Apr 12, 2021|
|Japan Airlines Mileage Bank||register for extension (see below)||36 months|
|JetBlue TrueBlue||n/a||Points don't expire|
|Korean Air SKYPASS||12/31/2022||10 years*|
|LATAM Pass Miles||07/31/2020||24 months*|
|Miles & More (Lufthansa et al.)||none||36 months*|
|Qantas Points||members outside Australia can claim an extension||18 months|
|Qatar Qmiles||none||36 months|
|Singapore KrisFlyer||04/30/2022||36 months*|
|Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards||n/a||Points don't expire|
|Turkish Miles & Smiles||12/31/2021||End of 3rd year|
|United Airlines MileagePlus||n/a||Miles don't expire|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||n/a||Miles don't expire|
*Activity doesn’t extend expiration
^Asia Miles earned on or before December 31, 2019 expire 3 years after earned, regardless of activity
Aeroplan (Air Canada)
- In an email on January 8, 2021, Air Canada announced it was pausing Aeroplan point expiration until June 29, 2021, due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.
- Then, on March 31, 2021, Air Canada further extended the expiration pause through January 31, 2022
- Aeroplan miles typically expire after 18 months of zero qualifying account activity
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- Alaska hasn't announced a mileage expiration pause. However, an Alaska agent mentioned that members can reactivate an account and reinstate miles “without a fee for the time being”.
- That is because miles don't expire, but your account can be closed for lack of activity.
- Typically, members need to earn or redeem at least a mile in a 24-month period to avoid account closure.
All Nippon Airways
- ANA miles expiring between March 31, 2020 and February 28, 2022 are extended through March 31, 2022.
- ANA miles typically expire at the end of the month 36 months after earned. Generating activity doesn't extend this expiration.
American Airlines AAdvantage
- AA originally only paused AAdvantage mile expiration through June 30, 2020. AAdvantage miles began expiring again on July 1, 2020. However, on August 10, 2020, American Airlines extended a temporary pause on mileage expiration through December 31, 2020. Miles that expired in the meantime should be reinstated.
- On November 10, 2020, American Airlines extended its mileage expiration pause through June 30, 2021.
- Then, on June 3, 2021, American Airlines further extended its mileage expiration pause through December 31, 2021.
- AAdvantage miles typically expire after 18 months of no qualifying account activity
- Remember that you can easily extend your AA mileage expiration by commenting on an AwardWallet post to earn five bonus AAdvantage miles
- On July 16, 2021, Avianca LifeMiles emailed some members that “we have decided to extend the expiration of these miles until December 31st, 2021.”
- Avianca notes that it's “extended the validity of your expiring miles until July 31st, 2021”
- LifeMiles typically expire after 12 months of zero qualifying account activity
British Airways Executive Club
- British Airways hasn't implemented any changes to its current point expiration policy for Avios in response to COVID-19.
- Avios expire after 36 months of zero qualifying account activity
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Asia Miles has not announced a pause on the expiration of miles due to COVID-19.
- Asia Miles earned on or before December 31, 2019 expire 3 years after being earned, regardless of activity.
- Asia Miles earned on or after January 1, 2020 expire only if your account goes 18 months without qualifying activity
- SkyMiles never expire as long as you have an account with Delta.
- Emirates has paused expiration for Skywards Miles until December 31, 2021.
- Skywards Miles are valid for three years after they are earned.
- Skywards Miles expire at the end of your birth month in the third year after they're earned.
- In a January 2021 release, Etihad claimed that “expired miles were also reinstated” in response to COVID-19. However, no details of this policy have been publicly shared.
- Etihad Guest Miles expire after 18 months with zero qualifying account activity.
Flying Blue (Air France/KLM)
- Flying Blue has paused miles expiration until the end of 2021.
- Flying Blue miles typically expire after 24 months of no qualifying account activity.
- However, Flying Blue miles never expire for Flying Blue Elite members.
- Due to the pandemic, Frontier paused the expiration of miles until further notice.
- Frontier will give a 90-day notice before resuming the expiration of miles.
- Frontier Miles typically expire after 6 months of no activity.
Gulf Air Falconmiles
- Gulf Air has paused the expiration of Falconmiles through June 30, 2021.
- Now, Gulf Air says miles expiring from February 2020 to December 2021 will “automatically be reinstated at the end of each month for a period of one year”.
- Miles typically expire three years after being earned, regardless of activity.
Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
- Hawaiian Airlines paused HawaiianMiles expiration through December 31, 2020.
- Then, as of April 12, 2021, HawaiianMiles no longer expire.
Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- Members with JAL Mileage Bank miles or e JAL points that expire between August 31 and October 31, 2021 can register by October 31 to get these miles extended until January 31, 2022.
- Those who have JAL Mileage Bank miles or e JAL points that expire between April 30 and July 31, 2021 had the option to register to get these miles extended until January 31, 2022.
- JAL Mileage Bank miles typically expire at the end of the 36th month after they were earned.
Korean Air SKYPASS
- Korean Air SKYPASS miles typically don't expire for 10 years after accrual.
- Still, Korean Air SKYPASS has extended the expiration date of mileage expiring in 2020 and 2021. Miles accrued between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2011 will be valid through December 31, 2022.
LATAM Pass Miles
- All LATAM Pass Miles that expire in June and July 2020 will be refunded to your account “on the 5th day after the original expiration date and will be valid for 90 more days“.
- LATAM Pass Miles expire 24 months from the date the miles are credited, regardless of activity
- The Malaysia Enrich program previously extended the expiration of miles, RM50 vouchers, and Golden Lounge access vouchers by six months for those expiring between December 31, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
- As of March 26, 2021, Malaysia Airlines emailed members to say that Enrich miles and Golden Lounge Access Vouchers due to expire between April 30, 2021 and November 30, 2021 will be extended to December 31, 2021.
Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Brussels, Eurowings, Swiss, LOT Polish)
- Miles & More has not implemented any changes to its current expiration policy for award miles in response to COVID-19.
- The only two options presented to extend miles validity—aside from standard qualifying activity—are to pay to protect your miles from expiring or pay to transfer your miles to a travel partner.
- Miles & More award miles expire after 36 months, regardless of account activity.
- Qantas has not implemented any changes to its current expiration policy for Qantas Points in response to COVID-19.
- However, members located outside of Australia may be able to extend the expiration of points. Check your inbox for an email from Qantas with the subject “Important information: extend your Qantas Points expiry date”. In this email, there's a link that you can click to extend your expiration by 6 months.
- Qantas Points expire after 18 months with no qualifying account activity
- Qatar Airways has not implemented any changes to its current expiration policy for Qmiles in response to COVID-19.
- Qmiles now require activity every 36 months to avoid expiration. That's much better than the former policy where miles expired after three years, regardless of activity.
- Qatar offers a program to ‘Extend and Revalidate' Qmiles for a fee.
- Singapore Airlines has extended the expiration of KrisFlyer miles multiple times. See the chart below for a visual of these expiration policies.
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles expire after 36 months from the month of their accrual.
Southwest Rapid Rewards
Turkish Miles & Smiles
- Turkish Miles & Smiles emailed members with miles expiring December 31, 2020 to say that expiration of these miles would be extended through June 30, 2021.
- It seems the airline further extended the expiration pause through December 31, 2021. However, there hasn't been official communication from Miles & Smiles.
- Turkish Miles & Smiles miles expire at the end of the third full calendar year after their processing, and this happens at 23:59 local time in Turkey.
- Members can pay $10 per 1000 miles to extend their validity for another three years.
- Effective August 28, 2019, United MileagePlus miles no longer expire.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- It was reported that Virgin Points extended points due to expire between April and September 2020 for six months. However, this isn't reflected on the Flying Club's website.
- Then, as of September 24, 2020, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club rebranded as Virgin Points and eliminated expiration entirely.
|Accor Live Limitless||12/15/2020 for general members|
12/15/2021 for elite members
|Best Western Rewards||n/a||Points don't expire|
|Choice Privileges||12/31/2021||18 months|
|Hilton Honors||12/31/2021||12 months|
|IHG Rewards Club||12/31/2021||12 months|
|Marriott Bonvoy||03/31/2022||24 months|
|Melia Rewards||09/30/2021||12 months|
|Radisson Rewards||12/31/2021||24 months|
|World of Hyatt||12/31/2021||24 months|
|Wyndham Rewards||12/31/2021||18 months|
Accor Live Limitless
- ALL-Accor Live Limitless paused points expiration through December 15, 2020 for general members.
- Elite members (Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond) get expiration paused through December 15, 2021.
- Later, they announced that point expiration was extended to December 31, 2021 due to ongoing COVID-19 travel restrictions.
- Officially, ALL-Accor Live Limitless points typically expire if you have no eligible stays over a 12-month period. However, reports indicate that any points-earning activity will extend the life of your points by 12 months.
Best Western Rewards
- In a December 15, 2020 email to elite members on COVID-19 updates, Choice announced it was pausing Choice Privilege point expiration through December 31, 2021. Expiration has resumed for non-elite members.
- Choice Privilege points typically expire after 18 months of zero qualifying account activity
- Hilton has paused Hilton Honors points expiration through December 31, 2022.
- Hilton Honors points typically expire after 15 months with zero qualifying account activity.
- IHG has paused Rewards Club point expiration through December 31, 2021.
- Rewards Club points typically expire after 12 months of zero qualifying account activity.
- Rewards Club points never expire for IHG elite members.
- Marriott paused Bonvoy point expiration through March 31, 2022.
- Marriott Bonvoy points typically expire after 24 months of zero qualifying account activity.
- Melia Rewards has suspended expiration of points through September 30, 2021.
- Melia Rewards requires activity every 12 months to avoid your points balance expiring.
- Radisson Hotels is suspending its point expiration policy through December 31, 2021.
- Typically, Radisson Rewards points expire after 24 months of no earning or redeeming activity.
World of Hyatt
- Hyatt initially paused World of Hyatt points expiration through December 31, 2020. Then, Hyatt paused all points expiration through June 30, 2021 as COVID-19 continued to hinder travel.
- Then, on June 15, 2021, Hyatt further extended the points expiration pause through December 31, 2021.
- World of Hyatt points typically expire after 24 months of zero qualifying account activity
- Wyndham has paused Wyndham Rewards point expiration through December 31, 2021
- Wyndham Rewards points typically expire after 18 months of zero qualifying account activity.
- Additionally, all Wyndham Rewards points expire four years (48 months) after they’re earned, regardless of activity.
Are there any other major programs that you feel that we should have included? Let us know in the comments.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.